SENIOR PROCESS ENGINEER (METAL 3D PRINTING)
Freeform is a stealth mode metal 3D printing startup founded on the belief that transforming the way things are made is essential to making the world a better place. Our advanced technology stack lies at the intersection of hardware, software, and data science, creating the foundation for the world’s first fully autonomous and scalable manufacturing system. Our core team hails from several of the world’s most innovative companies such as SpaceX, Virgin Hyperloop, and Blue Origin, and we have secured significant funding from several of Silicon Valley’s top venture capital firms.
As a Senior Process Engineer at Freeform, you will have the unique opportunity to invent novel processes for the world’s most advanced metal 3D printing systems. You will deep dive into complex, multi-physics phenomena to gain a fundamental understanding of the system and use those learnings to create a new state-of-the-art process. You will work alongside an interdisciplinary team of mechanical, software, and simulations engineers to analyze massive in-situ data sets as well as post-print material characteristics and rapidly iterate on improving the printing technology with machine learning. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working in a fast-paced R&D environment, solving very audacious problems from scratch.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative individuals who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Develop a deep understanding of the metal additive process and hardware operation by analyzing massive in-situ data sets to gain insight into physical mechanisms of the printing process.
- Work independently to design and execute experiments, analyze data, and develop and optimize processes on a metal additive system.
- Perform post-build metrology measurements and analysis of material properties such as tensile strength, surface roughness, and alloy microstructure.
- Generate and track quality metrics of printed customer parts such as dimensional accuracy, defect distribution, and surface roughness.
- Develop and implement tool qualification procedures.
- Collaborate with mechanical, software, and simulations engineers to analyze data and rapidly improve printing processes.
- Strategize continuous improvement plans to enhance system performance, reliability, and scalability.
- Bachelor’s degree in material science, physics, or similar engineering discipline.
- 5+ years of process development experience in complex physics-based applications such as semiconductor, solar, or additive manufacturing.
- Experience developing Design of Experiments (DOE), statistical data analysis, and process optimization.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master’s or PhD in material science, physics, or engineering discipline highly preferred.
- Process development experience from cutting edge industries such as semiconductor, solar, or diplays.
- Experience with statistical process control and tool health monitoring.
- Experience operating complex equipment.
- Familiarity with metallurgical sample preparation such as cutting, grinding, polishing, acid etching, and optical microscopy.
- Familiarity with programming languages such as MATLAB or Python.
- Experience analyzing very large datasets.
- Experience with statistical data analysis software such as R, JMP, Python, or Minitab.
- Passion for improving the state of metal 3D printing.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- We are located in Hawthorne in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of LA’s vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a competitive compensation package that includes significant equity in the company, as well as a full suite of additional benefits including premium health care (medical, dental, and vision) and life insurance, generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for birthing parent, 401K, and PTO.
- Our work environment includes casual dress, flexible work hours, a fully stocked kitchenette, free parking, daily paid for lunches, and regular catered team building events.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin / ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.