R&D SHOP SUPERVISOR
Freeform is a stealth mode metal 3D printing startup founded on the belief that transforming the way things are made is essential to making the world a better place. Our advanced technology stack lies at the intersection of hardware, software, and data science, creating the foundation for the world’s first fully autonomous and scalable manufacturing system. Our core team hails from several of the world’s most innovative companies such as SpaceX, Virgin Hyperloop, and Blue Origin, and we have secured significant funding from several of Silicon Valley’s top venture capital firms.
As an R&D Shop Supervisor, you will be responsible for leading in-house machining, fabrication, and assembly capabilities to support the development of our fully automated metal 3D printing factories. You will be responsible for overseeing a team of technicians and machinists, prioritizing work to meet schedule, improving shop organization, as well as performing hands-on hardware development projects alongside the team. This is a high impact opportunity to scale R&D shop operations at a rapidly growing startup that’s creating an industry-disrupting technology. If that sounds like interesting work, we’d love to hear from you!
- Lead a multi-functional R&D shop consisting of machining, welding, and complex fabrication / assembly.
- Oversee a multi-disciplinary team of technicians, fabricators, and machinists.
- Work with engineering team to understand hardware development priorities, and create production plans to meet schedule rate.
- Improve machine utilization, shop organization, tool maintenance, and raw materials / inventory.
- Provide feedback to the hardware development teams on design for manufacturing improvements.
- Machine, assemble, and / or fabricate complex parts / hardware in a fast paced, R&D environment.
- Make recommendations to management on purchasing new machines / tools.
- Lead process improvement projects to create a state-of-the-art operation.
- 5+ years of experience with hands on machining or fabrication.
- Experience working in an R&D or custom job shop environment.
- 1+ years of shop supervision/leadership experience.
- Familiar with a broad range of hardware development processes such as machining, welding, fabrication, and assembly.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- NTMA machinist certification.
- CNC programming experience.
- Skilled with manual machining, welding, cutting, fitting and / or bending of stainless steels, aluminums, and high-strength nickel alloys.
- Ability to utilize power tools, hand tools, cranes, forklifts, and other heavy equipment.
- Experience in metal additive manufacturing.
- Experience with precision measuring instruments.
- Ability to lift and / or move up to 50lbs unassisted.
- Ability to climb ladders and be on your feet for extended periods of time.
- Must be available and willing to work overtime when needed.
- We are located in Hawthorne in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of LA’s vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a competitive compensation package that includes significant equity in the company, as well as a full suite of additional benefits including premium health care (medical, dental, and vision) and life insurance, generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for birthing parent, 401K, and PTO.
- Our work environment includes casual dress, flexible work hours, a fully stocked kitchenette, free parking, daily paid for lunches, and regular catered team building events.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.