Freeform is a stealth mode metal 3D printing startup founded on the belief that transforming the way things are made is essential to making the world a better place. Our advanced technology stack lies at the intersection of hardware, software, and data science, creating the foundation for the world’s first fully autonomous and scalable manufacturing system. Our core team hails from several of the world’s most innovative companies, and we have secured significant funding from several of Silicon Valley’s top venture capital firms.
As a Mechanical Engineer, you will own projects cradle to grave as a responsible engineer, taking designs from concept through design, fabrication, testing, and implementation. You will contribute to overall machine system architecture, and will also work cross functionally with electrical and software engineering teams to integrate interdisciplinary systems. The ideal candidate is capable of running projects with little oversight and has the ability work effectively with other engineering disciplines.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Act as a responsible engineer in bringing hardware from concept to production.
- Work with Senior Engineers to research, develop, design, and test complex mechanical components, subassemblies, equipment, and systems.
- Perform tolerance analysis of designs at the system and subsystem level.
- Plan and perform tests to analyze the feasibility, design, operation and performance of equipment, components, and systems.
- Work hands-on to build, integrate, and validate designs and newly developed systems and / or subsystems.
- Strategize continuous improvement plans to enhance system performance, reliability, and manufacturability.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or similar engineering discipline.
- 1+ years of professional post-graduate experience designing and delivering complex mechanical hardware, OR a Master's degree and internship experience in lieu of professional experience.
- CAD experience, including GD&T and drawing documentation.
- Well-versed in mechanical engineering fundamentals and comfortable taking a first-principles approach to solving problems.
- Advanced degree in mechanical engineering.
- 4+ years of experience designing complex mechanical systems for semiconductor, machining, automation, materials processing, or other related industrial manufacturing or capital equipment applications (e.g. Additive Manufacturing, Semiconductor, Robotics, CNC, or Biomedical Manufacturing Equipment Design Engineering experience).
- Knowledge of motion control and kinematics.
- Experience with design of fluid or thermal systems.
- Working knowledge of electromechanical systems.
- Passion for improving the state of metal 3D printing.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- We are located in Hawthorne in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of LA’s vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a competitive compensation package that includes significant equity in the company, as well as a full suite of additional benefits including premium health care (medical, dental, and vision) and life insurance, generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for birthing parent, 401K, and PTO.
- Our work environment includes casual dress, flexible work hours, a fully stocked kitchenette, free parking, daily paid for lunches, and regular catered team building events.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.