SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER (3D)
Freeform is a stealth mode metal 3D printing startup founded on the belief that transforming the way things are made is essential to making the world a better place. Our advanced technology stack lies at the intersection of hardware, software, and data science, creating the foundation for the world’s first fully autonomous and scalable manufacturing system. Our core team hails from several of the world’s most innovative companies such as SpaceX, Hyperloop, and Blue Origin, and we have secured significant funding from several of Silicon Valley’s top venture capital firms.
In this position, you will play a critical role in developing a robust geometry processing pipeline that automates CAD import and geometry deformation for the world’s most advanced metal printing systems. We are looking for a strong software generalist with experience writing robust production software with geometry implications like those in the visual effects, video game, animation, or computer graphics industries. The ideal candidate will be excited about leveraging their experience rendering things in the digital world to revolutionize metal 3D printing at scale for the first time.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Design and develop the print preparation software pipeline for an advanced production-scale metal 3D printing system, including automating CAD import, geometry processing, slicing, and toolpath planning.
- Work with back-end software developers to architect the software interface to the metal 3D printing hardware layer.
- Develop software required to implement production automation solutions in the front-end geometry processing pipeline.
- Develop software to implement algorithms for geometry deformation, procedural geometry generation, and space-filling operations.
- Work with computational geometry engineers and simulation engineers to integrate physics-based and data-driven models into the software simulation pipeline.
- Integrate 2D and 3D meshing techniques into the physical simulation software pipeline.
- Develop, unit test, and deploy functional, scalable, robust, and maintainable software.
- 5+ years of professional experience in software development using C++, Rust, Java, Python, or similar.
- 1+ years of experience developing software for geometry processing such as but not limited to visual effects, animation, video games, or graphics industries.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- BS, MS or PhD in computer science, applied mathematics, or related field highly preferred.
- Experience interfacing with CAD and CAM software APIs.
- Experience with 2D and 3D meshing techniques.
- Knowledge of MATLAB.
- Experience with cloud computing.
- Experience with optimization techniques.
- Creative thinker able to apply first-principles reasoning to solve complex problems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- We are located in Hawthorne in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of LA’s vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth start-ups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a competitive compensation package that includes significant equity in the company, as well as a full suite of additional benefits including premium health care (medical, dental, and vision) and life insurance, generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for birthing parent, 401K, and PTO.
- Our work environment includes casual dress, flexible work hours, a fully stocked kitchenette, free parking, daily paid for lunches, and regular catered team building events.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin / ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.