SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER (FIRMWARE)
Freeform is a stealth-mode metal 3D printing startup founded on the belief that transforming the way things are made is essential to making the world a better place. Our advanced technology stack lies at the intersection of hardware, software, and data science, creating the foundation for the world’s first fully autonomous and scalable manufacturing system. Our core team hails from several of the world’s most innovative companies such as SpaceX, Hyperloop, and Blue Origin, and we have secured significant funding from several of Silicon Valley’s top venture capital firms.
As a Senior Firmware Engineer, you will be responsible for architecting and implementing critical embedded software systems that enable our advanced metal 3D printing systems to operate fully autonomously at high speeds with precision. We’re looking for someone who is very knowledgeable in low level programming and experience working closely with FPGA and/or Electrical Engineers on developing software that interfaces with their hardware. This is a high impact opportunity to develop some of the most crucial aspects of our transformative technology!
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Architect state-of-the art firmware for an advanced production-scale metal 3D printing system.
- Develop software to enable the high speed computer vision system, as well sensor data monitoring and calibrations checks
- Work with process and control engineers to develop and integrate control algorithms into production software.
- Work with FPGA developers to develop high-performance compute systems.
- Work with Electrical Engineers on board bring up and integrating PCBs into the infrastructure.
- Develop software required to implement production automation solutions.
- Develop, unit test, and deploy functional, scalable, robust, and maintainable software.
- Generate and maintain documentation of designed software and integrated systems.
- 5+ years of experience in software development using C and/or C++.
- Proven experience in real time embedded system design.
- Able to provide legal proof of identity and authorization to work in the United States, which applies to U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens alike.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, or related field.
- 10+ years of firmware engineering experience.
- Experience with bare metal programming, BSP engineering, RTOS, and/or similar low level programming concepts.
- Proficiency in interfacing microcontrollers with FPGA computing hardware.
- Experience with PCIe driver development and troubleshooting.
- Experience with high-speed data acquisition and real time closed-loop-control systems.
- Experience working in a Linux environment.
- Creative thinker able to apply first-principles reasoning to solve complex problems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- We are located in Hawthorne in a 35,000 square foot, state of the art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of LA’s vibrant emerging tech eco-system alongside many other high growth start-ups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a competitive compensation package that includes significant equity in the company, as well as a full suite of additional benefits including premium health care (medical, dental, and vision) and life insurance, generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for birthing parent, 401K, and PTO.
- Our work environment includes casual dress, flexible work hours, a fully stocked kitchenette, free parking, daily paid-for lunches, and regular catered team-building events.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.