Senior Application Engineer (Metal Printing)
Freeform is a stealth-mode metal 3D printing startup founded on the belief that transforming the way things are made is essential to making the world a better place. Our advanced technology stack lies at the intersection of hardware, software, and data science, creating the foundation for the world’s first fully autonomous and scalable manufacturing system. Our core team hails from several of the world’s most innovative companies such as SpaceX, Hyperloop, and Blue Origin, and we have secured significant funding from several of Silicon Valley’s top venture capital firms.
As a successful Application Engineer, you will support the Business Development team to engage with external customers in identifying compelling applications and supporting their development and ramp to scaled production. You will own projects cradle to grave as a responsible engineer, taking customer designs from concept through printing, testing, and delivery. In order to build a strong technical understanding of our technology, you will cross-functionally partner with core engineering teams (mechanical, electrical, software) to understand and contribute to the overall machine system architecture and leverage technical insights to support customer engagements. The ideal candidate is capable of running projects with little oversight, handles tough situations with poise and has the ability work effectively with other technical disciplines.
This role is based in our Hawthorne, CA headquarters office.
- Use first-principles thinking to understand problems, define test methods, evaluate solutions, iterate and provide technical recommendations to internal and external stakeholders.
- Educate Freeform’s customers on incumbent additive practices and how our technology is uniquely differentiated to support their scaled production needs.
- Drive all stages of application development including file preparation, printing, post processing and quality control.
- Document application requirements and objectives, statements of work, standard operating procedures, next-steps and action items to align all internal and external team members.
- Contribute to Freeform’s internal technology development with feedback from customers via detailed design and systems level improvements.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar technical discipline.
- 2+ years of experience leading product development/design engagements.
- Experience supporting sales or customer-facing teams.
- Skilled with CAD and CAE software (SolidWorks, NX or CATIA).
- Familiar with traditional manufacturing techniques (injection molding, urethane casting, CNC machining) and design for manufacturing.
- Able to provide legal proof of identity and authorization to work in the United States, which applies to U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens alike.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar technical discipline.
- 5+ years of experience leading product development/design engagements.
- Knowledge of metal additive manufacturing.
- Experience with office productivity software for documentation, presentation, and data analysis (Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Detail oriented with excellent verbal, graphical, and technical communication skills.
- Demonstrated creative problem solving abilities and positive attitude.
- Ability to travel (up to 30% of your time).
- We are located in Hawthorne, CA in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of LA’s vibrant emerging tech eco-system alongside many other high growth start-ups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a competitive compensation package that includes significant equity in the company, as well as a full suite of additional benefits including premium health care (medical, dental, and vision) and life insurance, generous Paid Parental Leave, 401K, and PTO.
- Our work environment includes casual dress, flexible work hours, a fully stocked kitchenette, free parking, daily paid-for lunches, and regular catered team-building events.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity. Employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.