ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN (MECHANICAL)
Freeform is a stealth-mode metal 3D printing startup founded on the belief that transforming the way things are made is essential to making the world a better place. Our advanced technology stack lies at the intersection of hardware, software, and data science, creating the foundation for the world’s first fully autonomous and scalable manufacturing system. Our core team hails from several of the world’s most innovative companies such as SpaceX, Virgin Hyperloop, and Blue Origin, and we have secured significant funding from several of Silicon Valley’s top venture capital firms.
As an Engineering Technician, you will work closely with the engineering team to fabricate, assemble, test, and develop hardware, build-out and maintain critical infrastructure systems (air, water, and inert gasses), and ensure that all on-site fabrication and/or R&D areas are outfitted with the required tools/equipment, remain clean/organized, and are being used safely. You will have an opportunity to use a variety of machines and tools including lathes, mills, bandsaws, grinders, precision drills, and water jets. The right candidate for this role will be team-oriented and have a positive attitude with a “no job too big or small” mentality. If you enjoy hands-on work in a fast-paced development environment and are excited about creating cutting edge technology, we'd love to hear from you!
- Act as the go-to resource for the engineering team in building critical hardware for advanced 3D printing machines.
- Use a variety of manufacturing tools including drills, grinders, torque wrenches, micrometers, calipers, lathes and mills.
- Read and interpret technical drawings and follow detailed work instructions.
- Perform planned maintenance and unplanned repairs on equipment including air compressors, water chillers, inert gas systems and general machine / fabrication shop equipment.
- Read and utilize schematics (mechanical / electrical / pneumatic / hydraulic) to troubleshoot systems down to the component level.
- Complete 6S responsibilities (sort, set in order, shine, standardize, sustain, safety).
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent educational certification.
- 2+ years of experience in manufacturing or production.
- Experience interpreting schematics and / or blueprints.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Skilled with manual machining, welding, cutting, fitting and / or bending of stainless steels, aluminums and high-strength nickel alloys.
- Formal hardware-centric technical training / certification (A&P license / NTMA license).
- Ability to utilize power tools, hand tools, cranes, forklifts and other heavy equipment.
- Use of precision measuring instruments.
- Experience setting up and maintaining facility systems with a focus on air, water and cryogenic inert gas systems.
- Electrical component assembly experience including fabrication of harnessing / connectors and basic soldering skills.
- Ability to lift and / or move up to 50lbs unassisted.
- Ability to climb ladders and be on your feet for extended periods of time.
- Must be available and willing to work overtime when needed.
- We are located in Hawthorne in a 35,000 square foot, state of the art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, large R&D and production areas, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of LA’s vibrant emerging tech eco-system alongside many other high growth start-ups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a competitive compensation package that includes significant equity in the company, as well as a full suite of additional benefits including premium health care (medical, dental, and vision) and life insurance, paid vacation, and holidays.
- Our work environment includes casual dress, flexible work hours, a fully stocked kitchenette, free parking, daily paid-for lunches, and regular catered team-building events.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.