SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER (COMPUTATIONAL GEOMETRY)
Freeform is a stealth-mode metal 3D printing startup founded on the belief that transforming the way things are made is essential to making the world a better place. Our advanced technology stack lies at the intersection of hardware, software, and data science, creating the foundation for the world’s first fully autonomous and scalable manufacturing system. Our core team hails from several of the world’s most innovative companies such as SpaceX, Hyperloop, and Blue Origin, and we have secured significant funding from several of Silicon Valley’s top venture capital firms.
As a Senior Software Engineer here, you will play a critical role in developing the pre-print, computational geometry software platform for our metal 3D printing production system. You will be responsible for designing, developing, and integrating software systems that enable the first production scale, high quality, and fully automated metal 3D printing factory capability. As a crucial member of the engineering team you will be responsible for driving the pace of innovation, maximizing development speed, and maintaining a standard of excellence within the entire engineering team.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Develop algorithms for geometry deformation, procedural geometry generation, and space-filling operations.
- Work with simulation engineers to integrate physics-based and data-driven models into the software simulation pipeline.
- Integrate 2D and 3D meshing techniques into the physical simulation software pipeline.
- Work with data scientists to develop and deploy machine learning algorithms.
- Design and develop the print preparation software pipeline for an advanced production-scale metal 3D printing system.
- Develop software to automate the CAD import, geometry processing, slicing, and toolpath planning of an advanced laser melting printing system.
- Work with back-end software developers to architect the software interface to the metal 3D printing hardware layer.
- Develop software required to implement production automation solutions in the front-end geometry processing pipeline.
- Create software to interface with 3rd party CAD and CAM software.
- Develop, unit test, and deploy functional, scalable, robust, and maintainable software.
- Generate and maintain documentation of designed software and integrated systems.
- Integrate third-party software packages into proprietary software.
- 5+ years of experience in software development using C++ (C++11/14/17).
- Extensive background in object-oriented programming and design.
- Proficient in Computational Geometry.
- Able to provide legal proof of identity and authorization to work in the United States, which applies to U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens alike. [Freeform does not currently sponsor H1-B visa petitions.]
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, or related field highly preferred.
- Experience interfacing with CAD and CAM software APIs.
- Experience with 2D and 3D meshing techniques.
- Knowledge of MATLAB and Python is a plus.
- Experience with cloud computing is a plus.
- Experience with the Windows software development environment. Linux is a plus.
- Proficient with software configuration management tools.
- Experience with optimization techniques.
- Creative thinker able to apply first-principles reasoning to solve complex problems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- We are located in Hawthorne in a 35,000 square foot, state of the art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of LA’s vibrant emerging tech eco-system alongside many other high growth start-ups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a competitive compensation package that includes significant equity in the company, as well as a full suite of additional benefits including premium health care (medical, dental, and vision) and life insurance, paid vacation, and holidays.
- Our work environment includes casual dress, flexible work hours, a fully stocked kitchenette, free parking, daily paid-for lunches, and regular catered team-building events.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.