SENIOR MECHANICAL ENGINEER
Freeform is a stealth-mode metal 3D printing startup founded on the belief that transforming the way things are made is essential to making the world a better place. Our advanced technology stack lies at the intersection of hardware, software, and data science, creating the foundation for the world’s first fully autonomous and scalable manufacturing system. Our core team hails from several of the world’s most innovative companies such as SpaceX, Hyperloop, and Blue Origin, and we have secured significant funding from several of Silicon Valley’s top venture capital firms.
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer, you will be responsible for leading mechanical design efforts across the company, as well as for driving the pace of innovation and maximizing hardware development speed. To be successful in this role, you must have extensive technical breadth in mechanical engineering concepts as well as specific expertise in architecting, designing, and developing complex mechanical systems, advanced robotics systems, or state-of-the-art industrial automation systems. The ideal candidate is capable of acting as the technical lead for a complex system with the ability work across engineering disciplines.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Act as a responsible engineer in bringing hardware from concept to production
- Research, develop, design, and test complex mechanical components, subassemblies, equipment, and systems
- Perform tolerance analysis of designs at the system and subsystem level
- Plan and perform tests to analyze the feasibility, design, operation and performance of equipment, components, and systems
- Work hands-on to build, integrate, and validate designs and newly developed systems and/or subsystems
- Strategize continuous improvement plans to enhance system performance, reliability, and manufacturability
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in mechanical engineering or related technical field
- 7+ years of experience in mechanical systems design and development
- CAD experience, including GD&T and detailed drawing documentation
- Strong mechanical engineering fundamentals with extensive hands-on hardware development experience
- Systems-level thinker also able to perform detailed work; has previously delivered complex mechanical systems
- Able to provide legal proof of identity and authorization to work in the United States, which applies to U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens alike. [Freeform does not currently sponsor H1-B visa petitions.]
- 10+ years of experience designing mechanical systems for semiconductor, machining, automation, materials processing, or other related industrial manufacturing or capital equipment applications (e.g. Additive Manufacturing, Semiconductor, Robotics, CNC, or Biomedical Manufacturing Equipment Design Engineering experience)
- Knowledge of motion control and kinematics
- Experience with design of fluid or thermal systems
- Working knowledge of electromechanical systems
- Passion for improving the state of metal 3D printing
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- We are located in Hawthorne in a 35,000 square foot, state of the art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of LA’s vibrant emerging tech eco-system alongside many other high growth start-ups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a competitive compensation package that includes significant equity in the company, as well as a full suite of additional benefits including premium health care (medical, dental, and vision) and life insurance, paid vacation, and holidays.
- Our work environment includes casual dress, flexible work hours, a fully stocked kitchenette, free parking, daily paid-for lunches, and regular catered team-building events.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.