SENIOR MECHANICAL R&D TECHNICIAN
Freeform is a stealth-mode metal 3D printing startup founded on the belief that transforming the way things are made is essential to making the world a better place. Our advanced technology stack lies at the intersection of hardware, software, and data science, creating the foundation for the world’s first fully autonomous and scalable manufacturing system. Our core team hails from several of the world’s most innovative companies such as SpaceX, Virgin Hyperloop, and Blue Origin, and we have secured significant funding from several of Silicon Valley’s top venture capital firms.
We are actively looking for incredible people to help build our advanced metal 3D printing technology. As a Senior Mechanical Technician, your responsibilities will include working closely with the engineering team to assemble, test, and develop hardware, build-out and maintain critical infrastructure systems (air, water, and inert gasses), and ensure that all on-site fabrication and/or R&D areas are outfitted with the required tools/equipment, remain clean/organized, and are being used safely. The right candidate for this role will be team-oriented and have a positive attitude with a “no job too big or small” mentality. If you enjoy hands-on work in a fast-paced development environment and are excited about growing/building a team then we would love to hear from you!
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative individuals who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Assemble and/or test mechanical and/or electromechanical components or assemblies
- Perform planned maintenance and unplanned repairs on company assets including air compressors, water chillers, inert gas systems, and general machine/fabrication shop equipment
- Read and utilize schematics (mechanical/electrical/pneumatic/hydraulic) to troubleshoot systems down to the component level
- Use schematics, hand tools, electrical gauges and common test equipment for calibration, diagnosis and repair or maintenance of hardware and facility tools/equipment
- Communicate with external vendors, specify system requirements, get quotations, and submit purchase requisitions to purchase new or replacement tools and/or equipment
- Act as a point of contact for the engineering and operations teams; assist in planning and coordination of resources to ensure pace of development/execution is maximized
- Complete 6S responsibilities (sort, set in order, shine, standardize, sustain, safety)
- Perform other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring an efficient, effective, and safe work environment
- High School diploma, GED, or equivalent educational certification
- 8+ years of experience in manufacturing, production, and/or mechanical technician work
- Experience interpreting schematics and/or blueprints
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Skilled with manual machining, welding, cutting, fitting and/or bending of stainless steels, aluminums, and high-strength nickel alloys
- A&P certification and/or any other formal hardware-centric technical training/certification
- Ability to utilize power tools, hand tools, cranes, forklifts, and other heavy equipment
- Use of precision measuring instruments
- Experience setting up and maintaining facility systems with a focus on air, water, and cryogenic inert gas systems
- Electrical component assembly experience including fabrication of harnessing/connectors and basic soldering skills
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 50lbs unassisted
- Ability to climb ladders and be on your feet for extended periods of time
- Must be available and willing to work overtime when needed
- We are now located in Hawthorne in a 20,000 square foot, state of the art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, large R&D and production areas, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of LA’s vibrant emerging tech eco-system alongside many other high growth start-ups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a competitive compensation package that includes significant equity in the company, as well as a full suite of additional benefits including premium health care (medical, dental, and vision) and life insurance, paid vacation, and holidays.
- Our work environment includes casual dress, flexible work hours, a fully stocked kitchenette, free parking, daily paid-for lunches, and regular catered team-building events.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.