VP OF ENGINEERING (MECHANICAL/HARDWARE)
Freeform is a stealth-mode metal 3D printing startup founded on the belief that transforming the way things are made is essential to making the world a better and more sustainable place. Our advanced technology stack lies at the intersection of hardware, software, and data science, creating the foundation for the world’s first fully autonomous and scalable manufacturing platform. Our core team hails from several of the world’s most innovative companies such as SpaceX, Hyperloop, and Blue Origin, and we have secured significant funding from several of Silicon Valley’s top venture capital firms.
We are actively looking for a self-motivated technical leader who will play a critical role in the development of our advanced manufacturing technology as well as the growth and development of the company. As the VP of Engineering, you will be responsible for growing, developing, and leading our highly experienced hardware engineering teams, ensuring our pace of development and innovation is maximized, and driving seamless integration activities across mechanical, electrical, and software disciplines. We are looking for someone with a strong technical background who has successfully led hardware development initiatives in technologically innovative environments such as robotics, autonomous vehicles, and/or industrial automation. You will need to be capable of working hand-in-hand with the C-suite to establish and execute on company-level technical and business objectives, driving daily engineering progress, and providing technical guidance to individual engineers to help solve difficult problems. This is an extremely high impact leadership opportunity for an outstanding technical leader to join a well-funded startup with a big world-changing vision and to play a critical role in the development and ultimate success of the company.
- Provide technical guidance and leadership to a highly experienced engineering team in order to maximize the pace of innovation and development
- Serve as an extension of the C-suite in making critical engineering and business decisions
- Provide input on system architectures as well as specific system and subsystem designs
- Drive first-principles thinking across the engineering organization; challenge assumptions and ensure that engineering decisions have been properly analyzed/evaluated
- Oversee system level design, development, integration, and validation of design efforts
- Provide technical program management from conception to deployment
- Interface with customers, investors, and advisors on key technical/business discussions
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, physics, or similar technical discipline
- 15+ years of experience architecting, designing, developing, and integrating complex mechanical systems
- Formal leadership experience overseeing a team of engineers
- Successful track record of leading hardware development programs in a technologically innovative environment
- Able to provide legal proof of identity and authorization to work in the United States, which applies to U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens alike. [Freeform does not currently sponsor H1-B visa petitions.]
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Advanced degree (MS, PhD) in mechanical engineering, mechatronics, robotics, or other relevant engineering field
- Expertise in metal additive manufacturing processes and related electrical/software development requirements
- Experience with industrial automation, robotics, and/or autonomous vehicles
- Experience working in a fast-paced start-up environment
- Fundamental understanding of metallurgy, non-destructive evaluation, and dimensional inspection methods for additively made hardware
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- We are located in Hawthorne in a 20,000 square foot, state of the art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of LA’s vibrant emerging tech eco-system alongside many other high growth start-ups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions
- We offer a competitive compensation package that includes significant equity in the company, as well as a full suite of additional benefits including premium health care (medical, dental, and vision) and life insurance, paid vacation, and holidays.
- Our work environment includes casual dress, flexible work hours, a fully stocked kitchenette, free parking, daily paid-for/catered lunches, and regular catered team-building events.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.