Senior Electrical Engineer
Freeform is a stealth-mode metal 3D printing startup founded on the belief that transforming the way things are made is essential to making the world a better place. Our advanced technology stack lies at the intersection of hardware, software, and data science, creating the foundation for the world’s first fully autonomous and scalable manufacturing system. Our core team hails from several of the world’s most innovative companies such as SpaceX, Hyperloop, and Blue Origin, and we have secured significant funding from several of Silicon Valley’s top venture capital firms.
We are actively looking for a highly passionate and self-motivated individual that can excel in a dynamic work environment and will play a critical role in accelerating our electrical engineering efforts. As a crucial member of the engineering team, you will be responsible for leading electrical system design, development, and integration efforts across the company, as well as for driving the pace of innovation and maximizing hardware development speed. The ideal candidate is capable of acting as the technical lead for a complex system with the ability work across engineering disciplines.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Rapidly design, develop and test highly reliable electronics for metal printing
- Drive electrical architecture, product requirements, component selection, analysis, schematic capture, prototyping, bring-up, debugging, documentation, product management, productization, manufacturing, and test
- Challenge assumptions and learn new design approaches
- Drive component selection, analysis, schematic capture, prototyping, bring-up, debugging, documentation, manufacturing, and test
- Hands-on debugging of the unexpected via the use of laboratory test equipment, custom instrumentation, and testing setups
- Model and simulate circuit designs for analysis and performance
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, or similar engineering discipline
- 7+ years of professional experience designing and delivering complex electrical hardware
- Significant “hands-on” development experience and comfortable architecting new hardware/systems
- Broad electrical engineering background; well-versed in EE fundamentals and comfortable taking a first-principles approach to solving problems
- Experience designing, developing, and testing analog and digital circuits (e.g. generating electrical schematics, analyzing circuits, breadboarding prototypes, designing circuit boards, etc.)
- Working knowledge of data acquisition and control system hardware and software
- Able to provide legal proof of identity and authorization to work in the United States, which applies to U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens alike. [Freeform does not currently sponsor H1-B visa petitions.]
Preferred Skills Experience:
- 10+ years of professional experience rapidly designing and delivering highly reliable products
- 10+ years of electronic product experience designing hardware from concept through production; strong emphasis on full life cycle development of new hardware products and not small incremental updates to legacy hardware
- Familiarity with industrial automation technologies and robotics
- Experience with sensors, embedded microcontroller design and firmware, and FPGA hardware and software development
- Experience with high-speed data acquisition systems, high-accuracy motion systems, high-speed scanning systems, optomechanical assemblies, and complex electromechanical systems
- Passion for additive manufacturing and curiosity in electronics for high-reliability applications
- We are now located in Hawthorne in a 20,000 square foot, state of the art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of LA’s vibrant emerging tech eco-system alongside many other high growth start-ups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a competitive compensation package that includes significant equity in the company, as well as a full suite of additional benefits including premium health care (medical, dental, and vision) and life insurance, paid vacation, and holidays.
- Our work environment includes casual dress, flexible work hours, a fully stocked kitchenette, free parking, daily paid-for lunches, and regular catered team-building events.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.