Head of Software Engineering
Freeform is a stealth-mode metal 3D printing startup founded on the belief that transforming the way things are made is essential to making the world a better place. Our advanced technology stack lies at the intersection of hardware, software, and data science, creating the foundation for the world’s first fully autonomous and scalable manufacturing system. Our core team hails from several of the world’s most innovative companies such as SpaceX, Hyperloop, and Blue Origin, and we have secured significant funding from several of Silicon Valley’s top venture capital firms.
We are actively looking for incredible people to help build our advanced metal 3D printing technology. As the Head of Software Engineering, you will play a critical role in leading our software engineering team as well as helping to bring clarity and smart decision-making to the overall engineering organization. The ideal candidate will have extensive technical breadth in embedded software engineering concepts, heterogeneous compute environments (FPGA, GPU, CPU), and signal/image processing. In addition, this person needs to understand modern software development challenges including scalability, big data, and machine learning. We are looking for someone who can work cross functionally with electrical and mechanical engineering disciplines, and must understand how to architect software to bring hardware to life. All leadership roles at Freeform are technical in nature so in addition to being a leader you will also be expected to spend a significant portion of your time working alongside the team as a technical contributor architecting and implementing solutions.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Provide technical guidance and leadership to the software engineering team with the goal of driving continuous improvement into the R&D process and maximizing pace of development.
- Serve as the primary technical architect for all software elements in the system as well as lead design, implementation, and/or simulation efforts as an individual contributor where appropriate.
- Lead system level integration and validation of design efforts (testing and troubleshooting).
- Provide technical project management from conception to production when required by the size/scope of the project.
- Facilitate effective communication and collaboration with the broader engineering team by working side-by-side with the Electrical, Mechanical, and Process engineering teams.
- 10+ years of hands-on experience architecting, designing, developing, and integrating complex embedded software systems.
- Proven experience working with heterogeneous computing systems comprising CPUs, FPGAs, and/or GPUs.
- Experience in software development using C and/or C++ (C++11/14/17).
- Extensive background in object-oriented programming and design.
- Successful track record of leading complex multidisciplinary projects and teams.
- Able to provide legal proof of identity and authorization to work in the United States, which applies to U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens alike. [Freeform does not currently sponsor H1-B visa petitions.]
Preferred Skills Experience:
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, or related field.
- 15+ years of industry experience.
- Formal personnel leadership experience.
- Experience with big data and machine learning.
- Understanding of how to scale software services.
- Ability to effectively understand and lead a variety of different software programming disciplines across back and front end development.
- Experience with high speed data acquisition and real time closed-loop-control systems.
- Experience writing software for industrial automation systems, robotics, or related hardware.
- Experience with big data warehousing solutions and cloud computing is a plus.
- Creative thinker able to apply first-principles reasoning to solve complex problems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- We are located in Hawthorne in a 20,000 square foot, state of the art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of LA’s vibrant emerging tech eco-system alongside many other high growth start-ups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a competitive compensation package that includes significant equity in the company, as well as a full suite of additional benefits including premium health care (medical, dental, and vision) and life insurance, paid vacation, and holidays.
- Our work environment includes casual dress, flexible work hours, a fully stocked kitchenette, free parking, daily paid-for lunches, and regular catered team-building events.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.