Software Engineer (Embedded)
Freeform is a stealth-mode metal 3D printing startup founded on the belief that transforming the way things are made is essential to making the world a better place. Our advanced technology stack lies at the intersection of hardware, software, and data science, creating the foundation for the world’s first fully autonomous and scalable manufacturing system. Our core team hails from several of the world’s most innovative companies such as SpaceX, Hyperloop, and Blue Origin, and we have secured significant funding from several of Silicon Valley’s top venture capital firms.
We are actively looking for a highly passionate and self-motivated individual that can excel in a dynamic work environment and will play a critical role in developing our embedded software architecture. In this role you will contribute significantly to the development the back-end software platform for Freeform’s first prototype metal 3D printing production system. You will be responsible for designing, developing, and integrating critical software systems that enable the first production scale, high quality, and fully automated metal 3D printing factory architecture. As a crucial member of the engineering team you will be responsible for maximizing development speed and maintaining a standard of excellence within the entire engineering team.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Contribute to the architecture state-of-the art software for an advanced production-scale metal 3D printing system.
- Design and develop the machine instruction interface to the metal 3D printing system hardware.
- Develop software to monitor sensor data, perform calibrations, log quality data, and keep track of the health of the printing system over its lifetime.
- Work with process and control engineers to integrate control algorithms into production software.
- Work with FPGA developers to develop high-speed data acquisition software.
- Create software for collection and analysis of process data.
- Develop software required to implement production automation solutions.
- Develop, unit test, and deploy functional, scalable, robust, and maintainable software.
- Generate and maintain documentation of designed software and integrated systems.
- Integrate third-party software packages into proprietary software.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or electrical engineering, or 2+ years of professional software experience without a degree.
- Experience in software development using C and/or C++ (C++11/14/17).
- Embedded system design experience with preemptive, multitasking real-time operating systems.
- Able to provide legal proof of identity and authorization to work in the United States, which applies to U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens alike. [Freeform does not currently sponsor H1-B visa petitions.]
Preferred Skills Experience:
- 3+ years of experience in embedded software development
- MS in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, or related field.
- Proficiency in interfacing microcontrollers with FPGA computing hardware.
- Experience with high speed data acquisition and real time closed-loop-control systems.
- Excellent knowledge of OS coding techniques, IP protocols, interfaces, and hardware subsystems.
- Experience writing software for industrial automation systems, robotics, or related hardware.
- Knowledge of MATLAB, Python, and/or LabVIEW is a plus.
- Experience with big data warehousing solutions and cloud computing is a plus.
- Proficient with software configuration management tools.
- Creative thinker able to apply first-principles reasoning to solve complex problems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- We are now located in Hawthorne in a 20,000 square foot, state of the art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of LA’s vibrant emerging tech eco-system alongside many other high growth start-ups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a competitive compensation package that includes significant equity in the company, as well as a full suite of additional benefits including premium health care (medical, dental, and vision) and life insurance, paid vacation, and holidays.
- Our work environment includes casual dress, flexible work hours, a fully stocked kitchenette, free parking, daily paid-for lunches, and regular catered team-building events.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.