FUNCTION: HUMAN CENTERED DESIGN / SYSTEMS DESIGN
Level: Senior Design Associate
Location: Mumbai, India
Hiring Window: Looking to onboard as soon as March / April 2021
We’re looking for a design strategist who will work to understand these challenges and
develop strategies for addressing them.
WHO IS FINAL MILE?
Final Mile is a global behavioral science led design strategy firm. We specialize in the application of decision and behavioral sciences to address complex behavioral problems in the development / social sector. Our focus lies in the areas of HIV, Infectious diseases,
Reproductive maternal & child health, Sanitation, Financial Inclusion to name a few. Some of our work involves understanding HIV prevention decision making amongst adolescents in South Africa, mapping the vulnerability context of young women & mothers in
Kenya & India and supporting communities with HCD capacity building to assist their problem solving efforts in Kenya & Eswatini. More recently, we are involved in designing systems and structures to improve overall public health outcomes. We have two offices: Chicago and Mumbai.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF A SENIOR DESIGN ASSOCIATE AT FINAL MILE
Work across the entire spectrum of project phases:
● Integrate and apply behavioral science and human centered design principles and methods to the research and design process overall.
● Collaborate with client-side project leadership to define the business context, systemic and behavioral challenge to address
● Identify key descriptive hypotheses, and approach to research, that will build understanding of context and actors’ behavior within that context, and speculate on prescriptive hypotheses to test as prototypes
● Lead & collaborate on planning, execution, analysis/ synthesis on a variety of research efforts; ranging from quick/ tactical to deep/ strategic
● Moderate user interviews to identify underlying motivations, values, mental models and emotions
● Synthesize research findings into concise, actionable insights and visual frameworks that provoke client teams to think differently about the problem/ opportunity space
● Lead co-design workshops with internal teams, global stakeholders and beneficiaries to build consensus, ideate new solutions and iterate on existing behavioral interventions.
● Deliver behavior change and business outcomes
WHAT KINDS OF EXPERIENCE DO I NEED?
● You have a postgraduate degree in human centered design, service design or systems design methods and have a deep understanding of how to use these to address problems in different contexts.
AND / OR
● You have 4+ years of work experience in previous design research/ strategy positions applying human centered design, service design or systems design methods in one or more contexts.
● You will have an edge if you have experience working within the public health and international development sector and / or have some education in or familiarity with social and behavioral sciences.
HOW MIGHT I HAVE COME UPON THESE SKILLS/ THIS EXPERIENCE?
Most likely, you’ve come to this package of skills through a combination of school, some internship experiences and several years in one kind of design business (or business unit) or another. There’s no one path to development of hard and soft skills. You’ve most likely spent
some time in a variety of business contexts: large or small creative agencies, small start-ups, or large and/ or mid-sized corporations. You probably have an undergraduate degree in a design/ engineering related field or social/ psychological science.
DESIRED TRAITS & OTHER CONSIDERATIONS
● A passion for continuous learning, including interest in reading and synthesizing research papers and books pertaining to the practice, and the ability to translate them into behavioral interventions
● Comfort with extreme ambiguity
● Adaptable to different business contexts, team structures, & project phases
● Desire to take ownership and judgment
● Uncanny ability to visualize and package your thinking, as well as the thinking of others
● Ability/ Desire to synthesize vast quantities of qualitative data points into meaningful and digestible bites
● Willingness and comfort in building rapport with clients (at all levels of their organization), throughout the various project phases
● Pragmatic optimism
● Understand that thinking evolves through making (and making through thinking)
● Humble and sincere confidence
● Desire to argue in support of a vision, and the ability to do so respectfully while keeping the team’s collective objectives at the fore
● 20-30% travel annually expected
WHAT KINDS OF PROJECTS MIGHT I BE WORKING ON?
Final Mile works extensively in the public health and international development sector, primarily in Africa and India. Learn more about Final Mile’s work at https://www.thefinalmile.com/ & https://www.behaviorarchitecture.com/
WHY MIGHT I BE MAKING THE SHIFT TO FINAL MILE?
● You want to work in a consulting firm that specializes in the application of behavioral sciences and human centered design to unique social and behavioral challenges.
● You thrive on learning and variety, and aren’t getting enough in your current work.
● You want to be involved in the sensemaking process, from end-to-end, instead of only playing one small part in the overall process.
WHAT MIGHT I EXPECT AS A PATH TO GROWTH?
It’s a small organization at this point, so there is an informal hierarchy based on skills in four
1. Conceptual Approach to the Behavioral Challenge
2. Organizing the Narrative
3. Packaging the Narrative
4. Collaborating/ Managing People (Client + Internal Teams).