Foursquare is the leading independent location technology company, powered by our deep understanding of how people move throughout the world. Our solutions help businesses make smarter decisions, developers create more engaging experiences, and brands build more effective marketing strategies.
Foursquare’s platform includes Attribution, Audience, Proximity, Places, Pilgrim SDK and Visits. As the industry’s first and only accredited company for location data from the Media Rating Council (MRC), this foundation powers all our solutions — those that exist today and those we have yet to build. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map and models fresh and up-to-date, building a phone’s-eye-view of the world with 105 million unique places of interest worldwide.
About the Team:
We are building a new team to tackle high impact projects that improve the engineering experience, increase velocity, and deliver novel capabilities for adoption across our engineering organization. Foursquare engineering builds data processing infrastructure to derive insights from billions of location data points every day, and online infrastructure to support hundreds of millions of api calls per day. In this role, you will ship projects with high visibility and of strategic importance to Foursquare. These projects will be diverse in nature and in the technologies and systems they touch, so we're open to a wide variety of skill sets, and will prize aptitude and attitude over experience. We need people who are willing and able to jump into areas that are unfamiliar to them and come quickly up to speed. Collaboration with the teams whose systems and workflows you impact will be critical. Help us build a world class platform that supports all engineering activity at Foursquare.
This role can be either at the Software Engineer or Senior Software Engineer level depending on your experience.
Our Tech Stack
- Languages: Java, Scala, Python, Clojure, Ruby
- Tools for pipeline orchestration: Airflow, Luigi, Jenkins
- Frameworks: Spark, MapReduce, Scalding, Spring Boot
- Infrastructure: AWS, Hadoop, Kubernetes, Docker, Terraform
- Other technologies: Postgres, Hive, HBase, MongoDB
Responsibilities of the role:
- Understand developer pain points and help improve their experience by reducing tech debt, retiring legacy systems, and unifying disparate products, code bases, and infrastructure.
- Design, develop and deliver distributed engineering tools, products, and platforms using multiple languages.
- Help other teams migrate from legacy systems and infrastructure to unified "paved path" systems.
- Own all phases of the software development lifecycle from roadmapping and design to implementation, documentation, and user onboarding.
- Partner across organizational and functional boundaries to understand pain points, identify opportunities for improvement, and help define the team roadmap.
- Work collaboratively and independently as part of a small, focused team.
- 1-10+ years of experience in software development working with production level code.
- Proficiency in one or more of the programming languages we use.
- Comfort with Unix/Linux and the command line.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to discover requirements from stakeholders, and to identify and articulate the benefits of a proposed change.
- Ability to grok and contribute to unfamiliar systems or areas of the stack.
- Good judgment in design and architecture and technical strategy, including ability to translate requirements into a coherent vision that results in intentional design and practical steps to implementation.
- Persistence in the face of challenges, and ability to drive a project to completion.
Nice to have:
- Experience with AWS.
- Experience building Platform as a Service architecture, or working in an environment where you've seen this done well.
- Experience working as part of a geographically-distributed team.
Perks and benefits:
- Learning and development programs from ICs to managers
- Individual, professional coaching for all full-time employees
- Flexible time off - rest and recharge when you need it!
- Comprehensive and competitive health, vision, dental, life insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Home office setup: you get all necessary hardware and internet reimbursement
- Family planning programs via Carrot and Maven
- Employee Resource Groups to help you stay connected
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.