Foursquare is the leading independent location technology company, powered by our deep understanding of how people move throughout the world. Our solutions help businesses make smarter decisions, developers create more engaging experiences, and brands build more effective marketing strategies.
Foursquare’s platform includes Attribution, Audience, Proximity, Places, Pilgrim SDK and Visits. As the industry’s first and only accredited company for location data from the Media Rating Council (MRC), this foundation powers all our solutions — those that exist today and those we have yet to build. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map and models fresh and up-to-date, building a phone’s-eye-view of the world with 105 million unique places of interest worldwide.
About the Team:
The Unfolded Team at Foursquare set out to bring the most advanced geospatial technologies to the world that is powerful, beautiful, and easy to use. The team is building a geospatial analytics platform for accessing, merging, enriching, analyzing, and visualizing spatial data. Members of Unfolded are authors of a suite of leading open source geospatial technologies - kepler.gl, deck.gl and H3. By joining the team, you will have an opportunity to work with some world-class geospatial engineers in the industry.
About the role:
Reporting to our Head of Backend Engineering, the Data Engineer will serve an important role to build advanced analytics services in Unfolded cloud and on-prem / private cloud offerings. The ideal candidate is comfortable working independently, able to demonstrate initiative and professionalism and attention to detail, and mentor other engineers over a distance. This position is full-time and can be remote.
What you’ll Do
- Build data pipelines to transform, analyze, and optimize geospatial datasets.
- Integrate and ingest a variety of external datasets
- Build systems to efficiently query and access data
- Work with customers and other teams to derive insights for geospatial datasets
- Cloud stack: AWS and Google Cloud Platform
- Orchestration: Prefect (experience with Airflow a plus)
- Execution: Dask, Docker (experience with Kubernetes a plus)
- Language: Python
- Data processing stack: Pandas, GeoPandas, Dask, PySpark
- A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience
- Comfortable working remotely
- Comfortable with Slack and Google Workspace apps (Gmail, Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Hangouts etc)
- At ease with technology, able to quickly pick up new platforms and troubleshoot
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Sound judgment, a high degree of professionalism, and the ability to maintain confidentiality
- Proactive, able to take initiative and work independently
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks
Nice To Haves
- Experience with analytics database systems (Elasticsearch, Druid, Pinot, ClickHouse, etc) a plus
- Experience with other Big Data technologies, (BigQuery, Snowflake, HDFS, Hive, Presto) Arrow, Parquet is always appreciated
- Experience developing REST microservices
- Experience with geospatial data
- Experience with spatial indexing systems: H3, S2, geohash
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.