Foursquare is the leading independent location technology company, powered by our deep understanding of how people move throughout the world. Our solutions help businesses make smarter decisions, developers create more engaging experiences, and brands build more effective marketing strategies.
Foursquare’s platform includes Attribution, Audience, Proximity, Places, Pilgrim SDK and Visits. As the industry’s first and only accredited company for location data from the Media Rating Council (MRC), this foundation powers all our solutions — those that exist today and those we have yet to build. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map and models fresh and up-to-date, building a phone’s-eye-view of the world with 105 million unique places of interest worldwide.
About the Team:
The PMO team is responsible for defining, implementing, and maintaining the standards for program and project management across multiple organizations at Foursquare. On one side of the PMO are the embedded Program Managers, who focus on our products or areas of technology, and lead the teams in their delivery of new features and enhancements. On the other side are the enabling Program Managers, who lead a variety of strategic projects and programs that are horizontal in nature, crossing either multiple product and technology teams, or go across multiple organizations.
About the Role:
There are three areas that need embedded Program Managers; Infrastructure, Targeting, and Developer/Consumer. The first, Infrastructure, covers a variety of areas, including Security, Infra Eng, and IT. The second, Targeting, is a product area that enables our proximity targeting as well as targeting segments for customers to reach their audiences. Finally, Developer/Consumer covers a wide array of products, including consumer facing apps, our enterprise API, as well as our developer SDK. Each of these areas need a program manager to be the lead for the delivery of a diverse set of initiatives requiring expertise in both program management and building relationships with stakeholders across a wide set of functions. Through collaboration with business partners and engineering teams, this role will drive forward delivery that will result in significant growth of Foursquare.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Responsible for the delivery of MVPs, on time, on budget, without exhausting the teams.
- Work with a team to set goals and objectives and define iterative deliverables for implementation. Document requirements (mix of Jira and Confluence).
- Identify process improvement opportunities. Develop, implement, train, and drive teams on new processes to optimize team productivity.
- Identify and deploy the best SDLC framework (nearly always Scrum or Kanban) based on type of work and team. Drive team to deliver on high-impact/ high-visibility projects or programs units to successful outcomes on time and within budget.
- Communicate program status and risk to relevant stakeholders, teams, and partners, including executives, escalating when appropriate on trade-off decisions.
- Champion Agile methodology to teams unfamiliar with its practices, such as encouraging flexible responses to change.
- Balance competing factors (risk mitigation and issue resolution, dependency management, highest-ROI, etc.) to effectively maximize impact to customers.
- 4+ of years experience in a similar role or similar working experience
- Scrum Master or Product Owner certified
- Familiarity with Agile frameworks
- Experience in helping teams evolve their Agile practices
- Bachelor's Degree in business, computer science, or related field, or 8 years relevant work experience
- Ability to understand software engineering fundamentals. Exposure to large-scale systems.
- Experience in communicating technical concepts to non-technical audiences, and connecting business context and customer impact to engineering tasks.
- Enjoys bringing creative thinking and ideas for improvement as a member of the PMO and as a member of cross-functional delivery teams.
- Strong spreadsheet skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience collaborating with external customers & senior leadership.
Nice to have:
- Experience in location data platforms and/ or marketing technology
- Enterprise software development (experience as a developer, SDET, architect, a plus)
- Experience working with geographically dispersed teams
- Knowledge of Jira preferred
- Background experience in any of the following a major plus;
- Managing overall data tech stack
- Data architecture experience in regards to managing a data platform
- Understanding of digital marketing ecosystem
Perks and benefits:
- Learning and development programs from ICs to managers
- Individual, professional coaching for all full-time employees
- Flexible time off - rest and recharge when you need it!
- Comprehensive and competitive health, vision, dental, life insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Home office setup: you get all necessary hardware and internet reimbursement
- Family planning programs via Carrot and Maven
- Employee Resource Groups to help you stay connected
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.