Foursquare is the leading independent location technology company, powered by our deep understanding of how people move throughout the world. Our solutions help businesses make smarter decisions, developers create more engaging experiences, and brands build more effective marketing strategies.
Foursquare’s platform includes Attribution, Audience, Pinpoint, Proximity, Places, Pilgrim SDK and Visits. As the industry’s first and only accredited company for location data from the Media Rating Council (MRC), this foundation powers all our solutions — those that exist today and those we have yet to build. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map and models fresh and up-to-date, building a phone’s-eye-view of the world with 105 million unique places of interest worldwide.
About the Developer and Consumer Team:
The Developer and Consumer team is responsible for the Foursquare technology that people outside of the company interact with to build and consume location in exciting and engaging ways. That spans from the Places API and Pilgrim SDK to our apps Foursquare City Guide, Swarm and Panel app. We spend time building features and products that give developers the tools to make location an integral part of their own applications and provide compelling user experiences centered around location to users of our apps. The Developer and Consumer team is a high impact team and a core piece of the Foursquare business with direct impact on the broader company success.
About this role
Join us and help bring our feature ideas (and your own!) off the whiteboard and into reality. Here are some high level areas you could help with:
- Improve the accuracy and efficiency of one of the premier Place search APIs in existence. Our API powers Foursquare City Guide and Swarm as well as apps from Microsoft, Uber, Samsung, Twitter and more
- Build the server side features to support our Pilgrim SDK and its related suite of products.
- Leverage machine learning techniques to build systems which process and derive insights from billions of location data points every day
- Launch features that make cities easier to explore and continue to push the Foursquare City Guide and Swarm apps forward
- Build resilient services and tooling which drive all of our offline processing of petabytes of data
- 4+ years of proven experience building software for fast growing web or mobile products
- Solid foundation in computer science fundamentals with sound knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and design
- Strong Java or other object-oriented programming experience or, even better, experience and/or interest in functional languages (we use Scala!)
- A plus if comfortable with React based websites or if experienced with mobile development
- Bonus points for experience using Spark or, Kafka
- Comfortable in a small and fast-paced startup environment
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or a related field or equivalent experience
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.