Foursquare is the leading independent location technology company, powered by our deep understanding of how people move throughout the world. Our solutions help businesses make smarter decisions, developers create more engaging experiences, and brands build more effective marketing strategies.
Foursquare’s platform includes Attribution, Audience, Pinpoint, Proximity, Places, Pilgrim SDK and Visits. As the industry’s first and only accredited company for location data from the Media Rating Council (MRC), this foundation powers all our solutions — those that exist today and those we have yet to build. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map and models fresh and up-to-date, building a phone’s-eye-view of the world with 105 million unique places of interest worldwide.
About the role:
Foursquare is looking for a Corporate Counsel (Commercial) to join our Legal team. Reporting to the Associate General Counsel, the Corporate Counsel will be responsible for many day to day legal issues facing the company. This individual will frequently interact with the Sales & Business Development teams, and occasionally with members of the Product & Engineering teams. This person will draft, review, and negotiate contracts, resolve disputes, and have an opportunity for continued growth and development.
If you’re looking for an opportunity to make a significant impact from day one (and have fun while doing so). Foursquare’s legal team is the place for you! We are open to candidates based out of San Francisco, LA, or Seattle.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Reviewing, drafting, and negotiating a wide variety of commercial agreements, including master services, licensing, professional services, marketing, and vendor agreements;
- Identifying legal and regulatory issues in product initiatives and customer agreements, including privacy and data security issues, and working with the appropriate resources to create solutions and minimize risk;
- Assisting with tracking and managing existing contract expirations, renewals, non-renewals, extensions, and amendments;
- Engaging strategically in risk assessment/mitigation and developing innovative approaches to legal issues in support of business objectives;
- Providing practical, creative legal advice in a fast-paced, high growth environment;
- Working closely with the teams charged with generating business and proactively establishing relationships with other departments including Marketing, Finance, Product, and Engineering;
- Assisting with corporate, M&A, and other legal matters as requested; and
- Providing strategic legal advice and counsel on a broad range of legal topics.
- 3-6 years of legal experience, preferably with experience being part of an in-house legal department;
- Strong academic credentials, including a Juris Doctor degree and membership in good; standing in at least one state bar (New York or California preferred);
- Experience drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements, including licensing agreements (data licensing, SDK, API agreements, SaaS agreements);
- Business judgment and ability to assess legal risk while providing practical advice;
- Ability to act as a legal advisor and partner, providing insight and advice in conversations with the sales and BD teams;
- A team-player mindset with the ability to work collaboratively across various functions and with colleagues at all levels; and
- Enthusiastic team member who enjoys taking ownership of projects, building relationships cross-functionally and working on cutting-edge legal issues.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Base-level familiarity with technology, IP and privacy experience is a plus;
- Proficiency with Salesforce, Box, and the Google Suite;
- Experience in a technology and/or start-up company environment; and
- Experience with international commercial transactions.
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.