Foursquare is the leading independent location technology company, powered by our deep understanding of how people move throughout the world. Our solutions help businesses make smarter decisions, developers create more engaging experiences, and brands build more effective marketing strategies.
Foursquare’s platform includes Attribution, Audience, Pinpoint, Proximity, Places, Pilgrim SDK and Visits. As the industry’s first and only accredited company for location data from the Media Rating Council (MRC), this foundation powers all our solutions — those that exist today and those we have yet to build. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map and models fresh and up-to-date, building a phone’s-eye-view of the world with 105 million unique places of interest worldwide.
About the Team:
The Developer and Consumer team is responsible for the Foursquare technology that people outside of the company interact with to build and consume location in exciting and engaging ways. That spans from the Places API and Pilgrim SDK to our apps Foursquare City Guide, Swarm and Panel app. We spend time building features and products that give developers the tools to make location an integral part of their own applications and provide compelling user experiences centered around location to users of our apps. The Developer and Consumer team is a high impact team and a core piece of the Foursquare business with direct impact on the broader company success.
About the role:
Your primary goal in this role will be to increase the productivity of internal engineers using the Foursquare monorepo by improving everything around the build experience, and therefore you will have an impact on many product and technical domains across Foursquare. Lowering build system compile times, optimizing build scripts, configuring local Artifactory repositories, creating tooling for engineers, making CI/CD systems responsive and fluid, and facilitating easier integration testing are all efforts you can undertake in this role.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Enhance and support the build system that enables the Foursquare monorepo
- Develop and improve the build and containerization pipelines for all online Foursquare services
- Work closely with other engineers to make their lives better and improve the experience working in the Foursquare codebase
- Contribute to core foundational software libraries in areas such as codegen, ORM, and application metrics
- Collaborate with other engineers to build the shared application infrastructure services used by our Developer and Consumer products
- 4+ years of relevant industry experience, especially shipping sweeping technical updates and features
- 1+ year of experience building software targeted at the development loop experience, e.g. build tools, artifact caching, dependency optimizations, IDEs
- Experience supporting other engineers in their ability to get their job done
- Effective communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Solid foundation in computer science fundamentals with sound knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and design
- Proficient with Python and Bash / shell scripting
- Prior Scala, Java or other object-oriented programming experience
- Comfortable in a fast-paced startup environment
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in a computer science related field or related industry experience
Nice to have:
- Experience with Scala, Pants/Bazel, Thrift, AWS CodeBuild, Docker, Terraform
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.