Foursquare is the leading independent location technology company, powered by our deep understanding of how people move throughout the world. Our solutions help businesses make smarter decisions, developers create more engaging experiences, and brands build more effective marketing strategies.
Foursquare’s platform includes Attribution, Audience, Pinpoint, Proximity, Places, Pilgrim SDK and Visits. As the industry’s first and only accredited company for location data from the Media Rating Council (MRC), this foundation powers all our solutions — those that exist today and those we have yet to build. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map and models fresh and up-to-date, building a phone’s-eye-view of the world with 105 million unique places of interest worldwide.
About the Team
The main responsibility of this team is maintaining and improving our proprietary data platform that we use to build our Global Places product. We combine billions of individual pieces of information into a comprehensive dataset of hundreds of millions of places around the world. Users, including software engineers, data scientists, analysts, and product managers, mix real time precision edits with a git like branch and merge model for large scale changes.
We work with common open source tools for large-scale data processing, a custom platform for curating high quality datasets, and newer technologies like container orchestration frameworks. We solve complex distributed systems problems and meditate on improving operational efficiency. In this high-leverage role, your contributions will impact our largest engineering team and one of the company's primary products. We are currently looking for a Software Engineer or Senior Software Engineer depending on your experience.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Ownership of the full project lifecycle
- Develop and maintain Spark and Hadoop MapReduce workflows
- Work alongside Data Scientists and Analysts to ensure data quality and coverage
- Proactively seek out opportunities for quality and performance improvements
- Experience with configuration and debugging of processes running on the JVM
- Working knowledge of concurrency, threading, and race conditions
- Comfort working with datasets that don’t fit in the memory of a single process
- Awareness of fault tolerance strategies in system design
- Degree in Computer Science or a related field
Nice to have:
- Experience with microservices architecture and container technologies like Docker
- Experience with big data frameworks like Hadoop and Spark
- Experience with HBase
- Experience working with large scale machine learning models
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.