Foursquare is the leading independent location technology company, powered by our deep understanding of how people move throughout the world. Our solutions help businesses make smarter decisions, developers create more engaging experiences, and brands build more effective marketing strategies.
Foursquare’s platform includes Attribution, Audience, Pinpoint, Proximity, Places, Pilgrim SDK and Visits. As the industry’s first and only accredited company for location data from the Media Rating Council (MRC), this foundation powers all our solutions — those that exist today and those we have yet to build. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map and models fresh and up-to-date, building a phone’s-eye-view of the world with 105 million unique places of interest worldwide.
About the Team
Data Science team at Foursquare owns research and methodology across all Foursquare products. Members of this team have advanced training in statistics, data science, and/or machine learning. While we produce code that is executed in production environments, the focus is on developing methodology, building models, and prototyping novel uses of our data resources.
This Visits is responsible for the methodology and models associated with creating visits including the underlying models. They own the methodology and models for enriching user level data, recall correction methodology, models inferring other real world behaviors, and leveraging emerging mobile features to collect data which allows us to improve the quality of behavior inferences. They are also responsible for research on OS features which impact our ability to build inferences.
About the role:
We are currently looking for a Senior Manager of Data Science or a Director of Data Science depending on your experience.
The Director of Data Science will be responsible for managing the whole Data Science team, including working with other directors in the Data Engineering teams as well as other stakeholders such as the Product and Go To Market teams in order to make sure we deliver high quality solutions on time powering our industry leading products. The Director of Data Science will report to the VP of Engineering in charge of Data Science.
The Senior Manager will be responsible for running the Visits team in particular.. The role can grow into the director role based on the impact and growth you demonstrate in the role.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Making sure the team has the right tools and processes in place to deliver work that is on time and to specification.
- Owning and managing the team’s OKRs and deliverables for the quarter
- Working with partners and stakeholders in other teams to set and understand requirements.
- Growing and retaining the data scientists in the team
- Experience leading a research team with complex systems-building requirements
- Experience mentoring new leaders via coaching and compassion
- A technical understanding of quantitative modeling and building big-data systems, leveraging modern technologies like Spark and EMR
- Able to be a bridge between scientists and product owners, generating agreement and consensus
- Strong knowledge of Agile processes, including an understanding of how to balance short-term needs with long-term research payoffs
- Highly-effective communication skills (both written and verbal) including the ability to get buy-in from product managers and executives
- An understanding of the quality and reliability needs of an enterprise business
- Experience in areas related to geospatial tech preferred; or related areas of real-world measurement, e.g., healthcare tech
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe that in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice, and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and a suite of products that we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.