Foursquare is the leading independent location technology company, powered by our deep understanding of how people move throughout the world. Our solutions help businesses make smarter decisions, developers create more engaging experiences, and brands build more effective marketing strategies.
Foursquare’s platform includes Attribution, Audience, Pinpoint, Proximity, Places, Pilgrim SDK and Visits. As the industry’s first and only accredited company for location data from the Media Rating Council (MRC), this foundation powers all our solutions — those that exist today and those we have yet to build. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map and models fresh and up-to-date, building a phone’s-eye-view of the world with 105 million unique places of interest worldwide.
About the Team:
We're a technical group of people working in a relaxed environment with various demanding infrastructure needs with a high standard of careful, detail-oriented, responsive professionalism.
We manage a hybrid architecture with a multi-petabyte compute cluster and multi-million dollar AWS infrastructure. We heavily use and contribute to open source systems and aggressively build, adopt, and deploy new technologies and capabilities.
About the Role:
This is a great opportunity to manage serious infrastructure that is servicing large volumes of data and traffic, work with a large and outstanding engineering team, and employ state-of-the-art tools and techniques.
- Evaluate and implement technologies that improve efficiency, performance and reliability
- Develop and deliver creative solutions that enable engineering teams
- Build reliable systems at scale
- Support and enable engineering teams at Foursquare
- Drive improvements in capacity, reliability, availability and performance of core systems
- Participate in on-call rotation duties
- Extensive production *NIX experience & shell scripting
- Ability to write code in Ruby/Python/Go/Perl or similar to solve automation/glue problems and develop effective tooling.
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code techniques and practices.
- Extensive knowledge of at least one configuration management system (Puppet/Chef/Ansible/Salt).
- Experience with modern observability/monitoring systems.
- Significant experience with at least one cloud provider (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Strong understanding of network fundamentals, TCP/IP and related services.
- Exposure to big data and data pipelines is a plus, particularly with the Hadoop ecosystem.
- Experience with CI/CD systems and datacenter/colo management with appropriate automation and abstraction
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.