Foursquare is the leading independent location technology platform, powering business solutions and consumer products through a deep understanding of location. Over 1,000 clients—including more than 50% of the Fortune 100—choose Foursquare.
Foursquare’s toolkit includes Placed powered by Foursquare, Audiences powered by Factual and Proximity powered by Factual, Analytics Solutions, Places, Pilgrim SDK and Pinpoint. Together, these products empower brands to measure foot traffic lift via multi-touch attribution; deliver proximity-based advertising; analyze and identify trends; drive deeper engagement via Foursquare’s industry-leading developer tools, which have been selected by 200,000 developers including AccuWeather, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Snapchat, Twitter and Uber; and optimize advertising campaigns across hundreds of audiences. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map and models fresh and up-to-date.
Foursquare has more than 350+ employees based in New York headquarters with offices in Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago and Singapore. In 2019 Foursquare acquired Placed from Snap Inc., and then in 2020 merged with Factual. Foursquare is proud to be funded by The Raine Group, Simon Ventures, Naver, Union Square Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz, DFJ Growth, Morgan Stanley Alternative Investment Partners and more.
About the Role:
Foursquare is seeking an experienced VP of Engineering to lead our New York City office and directly manage teams responsible for large portions of Foursquare’s consumer and enterprise businesses. You will identify and surface staffing needs, optimize hiring processes, and think strategically about the growth and evolution of the team. You will offer technical direction and put the necessary roles and processes in place to ensure sound decisions are made. You will provide career development, coaching, and mentorship to the members of your teams, and cultivate emerging leaders. You will work across business units to make sure engineering efforts are aligned with the company’s objectives.
- Provides leadership across Foursquare to ensure solutions are built in alignment with objectives and standards.
- Ensures that all relevant project teams follow a common set of processes and adopt common technical standards
- Acts as an evangelist for the engineering organization and works with teams in Foursquare to keep them apprised of future plans.
- Determines OKRs, project planning and resource requirements to accomplish projects and support customers.
- Oversees the development, implementation and execution of multiple projects ensuring scope and schedule are established for projects; oversees operating plan and resource allocation for the department, including prioritization and staff deployment; acts based on changed priorities.
- Formulates and executes process and organizational improvement direction and programs which enhance overall effectiveness; proactively seeks ways to improve human resource and other management processes.
- Weighs in on key technical and managerial decisions for the team.
- Manages the morale, retention, and performance of staff.
- 8+ years of proven industry experience and background in scaling out engineering organizations
- Collaborate with leaders/managers to converge on strategic direction for modernization and evolution of platform.
- Establish and enforce processes for change management, disaster recovery, business continuity, and (internal) customer usage/access.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Understanding of how to diagnose and shift culture and organizational processes and awareness around security
- Comfortable with managing many work streams, and coordinating resources and prioritizing work across teams
- Ability to interface with senior management and executives, including assessing and communicating risk
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.