Foursquare is the leading independent location technology platform, powering business solutions and consumer products through a deep understanding of location. Over 1,000 clients—including more than 50% of the Fortune 100—choose Foursquare.
Foursquare’s toolkit includes Placed powered by Foursquare, Audiences powered by Factual and Proximity powered by Factual, Analytics Solutions, Places, Pilgrim SDK and Pinpoint. Together, these products empower brands to measure foot traffic lift via multi-touch attribution; deliver proximity-based advertising; analyze and identify trends; drive deeper engagement via Foursquare’s industry-leading developer tools, which have been selected by 200,000 developers including AccuWeather, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Snapchat, Twitter and Uber; and optimize advertising campaigns across hundreds of audiences. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map and models fresh and up-to-date.
Foursquare has more than 400 employees based in New York headquarters with offices in Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Singapore and London. In 2019 Foursquare acquired Placed from Snap Inc, and then in 2020 merged with Factual. Foursquare is proud to be funded by The Raine Group, Simon Ventures, Naver, Union Square Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz, DFJ Growth, Morgan Stanley Alternative Investment Partners and more.
About the Role:
Foursquare is seeking an experienced Engineering Director to lead the evolution of the engineering teams and tech upon which our products and our business are built. You will liaise with business and product leaders to align efforts/priorities with business goals. You will help to optimize team structure and process to drive execution and accountability as well as provide career development, coaching, and mentorship to the members of your teams, and cultivate emerging leaders. In this role you will identify and surface staffing needs, think strategically about the growth and evolution of the team(s), and help shape the future of engineering at Foursquare.
- Provide leadership across the engineering community in Foursquare to ensure solutions are built in alignment with our principles and standards.
- Ensure that all relevant project teams follow a common set of principles and patterns
- Act as an evangelist for eng teams and works with teams in Foursquare to keep them apprised of future plans.
- Determine OKRs, project planning and resource requirements to accomplish projects and support customers.
- Oversee the development, implementation and execution of multiple projects ensuring scope and schedule are established for projects; oversee operating plan and resource allocation for the department, including prioritization and staff deployment; act based on changes in priorities.
- Formulate and execute process and organizational improvement direction and programs which enhance overall effectiveness; proactively seek ways to improve human resource and other management processes.
- Weigh in on key technical and managerial decisions for the team.
- Have 8+ years of proven industry experience, with 3+ years of experience leading engineering teams
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills
- Understand how to diagnose and shift culture and organizational processes, including software development practices and career growth management
- Be comfortable managing many work streams, and coordinating resources and prioritizing work across teams and products
- Be comfortable interfacing with senior management and executives, including assessing and communicating risk
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.