Foursquare is the leading independent location technology platform, powering business solutions and consumer products through a deep understanding of location. Foursquare’s business solutions include Pilgrim SDK, Places API, Analytics, Placed powered by Foursquare, and Pinpoint. Together, these products empower brands to analyze trends; measure foot traffic lift; optimize advertising campaigns; and drive deeper engagement via Foursquare’s industry-leading developer tools, which have been selected by 150,000 developers including AccuWeather, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Snapchat, Tinder, TripAdvisor, Twitter and Uber. Our toolkit also includes our consumer apps Foursquare City Guide and Swarm. Over the past 10 years, we’ve counted more 13 billion verified signals from people around the world, helping us to keep our dynamic map and models fresh and up-to-date.
About our Engineering Team:
Foursquare's Placesnap team (named after the central snap-to-place technology), is responsible for business-critical R&D directions that generate differentiation both in the Pilgrim SDK and in the Media & Measurement business it drives, with a focus on attribution and commercial visit feeds. As a senior member of the team, you will play an important role in the efforts necessary to unlock further differentiation, build scalable systems, and drive revenue via our enterprise business.
The Placesnap team consists of five experienced members. This team is highly cross-functional, with all members having skills that blend traditional software engineering and quantitative modeling. It is a highly-collaborative team, having interdependence with every product development team at Foursquare. The person in this role needs to be capable of orchestrating the execution of projects on a complex team, making business-savvy decisions based on R&D findings, and generating understanding within a diverse group of product managers while working with quantitative researchers to set direction. We are passionate about tackling tough challenges in the location space and look for others who love to dive deep into code and help solve hard problems.
What you’ll do:
- Be a technical leader for a distributed backend system which serves machine learning models at scale
- Mentor the team in software engineering and coding best practices
- Influence key decisions on architecture and implementation of reliable, scalable, and performant systems
- Write test automation, conduct code reviews, and take end-to-end ownership of deployments to production
- Collaborate with data scientists to bring quantitative models into production
What we’re looking for:
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to identify and communicate data-driven insights
- BS/BA in a technical field such as computer science or equivalent experience
- 7+ years of software development experience
- Proficiency in Scala, Java, C++, or a similar object-oriented language
- Familiarity and interest in state-of-the-art quantitative modeling techniques
- Familiarity with Hadoop MapReduce and Spark
- Experience operating systems in AWS
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.