Foursquare is the leading independent location technology platform, powering business solutions and consumer products through a deep understanding of the location. Foursquare’s business solutions include Pilgrim SDK, Places API, Analytics, Placed powered by Foursquare, and Pinpoint. Together, these products empower brands to analyze trends; measure foot traffic lift; optimize advertising campaigns; and drive deeper engagement via Foursquare’s industry-leading developer tools, which have been selected by 150,000 developers including AccuWeather, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Snapchat, Tinder, TripAdvisor, Twitter and Uber. Our toolkit also includes our consumer apps Foursquare City Guide and Swarm. Over the past 10 years, we’ve counted more 13 billion verified signals from people around the world, helping us to keep our dynamic map and models fresh and up-to-date.
About the Infrastructure Team:
As a member of Foursquare's Infrastructure team, you will use your strong background in distributed systems to help build the core online and offline platforms that drive the services for our Enterprise and Consumer-facing products. We're passionate about tackling tough infrastructure challenges (especially scaling problems) and look for others who like to dive deep into the code to help solve hard problems. You should be comfortable running with your own ideas and eager to learn new skills on a bleeding edge platform. We use a variety of tools, technologies, and languages to build software (e.g., Scala, Hadoop, Kafka, Python, Thrift, Luigi, EMR, Databricks, Memcached, Redis, Chef, Aurora, Mesos, Pants), but experience with equivalent ones will do just fine.
Join us to help build and maintain the rock-solid core infrastructure upon which we build our features. Here are some high-level areas you could get involved in:
- Build a cost-effective and seamless way to run pipelines across Amazon EMR.
- Build and maintain tools to analyze, monitor and optimize CPU, core, memory and disk utilization of services that run on our Fargate, Aurora, and Hadoop clusters.
- Scale and modernize all aspects of our data lake storage systems.
- 8-10 years of software engineering, 5 years of Big Data engineering, and team lead experience.
- Good knowledge of Big Data and AWS concepts (HDFS, Yarn, Hive, Kafka, Spark, S3, EC2, EMR) is a must. Experience with Luigi scheduler is a plus.
- Experienced in programming in Scala is a must and Python is a plus.
- Experienced in Building and Supporting systems for use by other Engineering teams.
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.