Foursquare is the leading independent location technology platform, powering business solutions and consumer products through a deep understanding of location. Foursquare’s business solutions include Pilgrim SDK, Places API, Analytics, Placed powered by Foursquare, and Pinpoint. Together, these products empower brands to analyze trends; measure foot traffic lift; optimize advertising campaigns; and drive deeper engagement via Foursquare’s industry-leading developer tools, which have been selected by 150,000 developers including AccuWeather, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Snapchat, Tinder, TripAdvisor, Twitter and Uber. Our toolkit also includes our consumer apps Foursquare City Guide and Swarm. Over the past 10 years, we’ve counted more 13 billion verified signals from people around the world, helping us to keep our dynamic map and models fresh and up-to-date.
About the DCX (Developer and Consumer Experiences) Team:
The DCX team is responsible for the Foursquare technology that people outside of the company interact with to build and consume location in exciting and engaging ways. That spans from the Pilgrim SDK (the always on passive location detection engine) to our apps Foursquare and Swarm. We spend time building features that highlight the value of location for developers wanting to build their own apps, and users who should get a benefit from an app using their location information. The DCX team is a core piece of the Foursquare business and is a high impact team with big implications on the broader company success.
- Manage and coach a team of talented software engineers
- Responsible for the team's technical roadmap and direction, working closely with Product Management, Sales and Business Development to achieve company goals
- Own technology vision, R&D and execution for a Foursquare engineering team
- Manage the development of scalable and robust systems across multiple disciplines
- Identify and track critical diagnostic metrics for the health and growth of our core technologies
- Evaluate and introduce new technologies, processes and policies when necessary.
- Partner with other engineering and product teams and department stakeholders to align on and drive forward broader engineering and company initiatives
- Grow and build a diverse and effective team by recruiting for the team, establishing hiring goals, interviewing norms, and evolving the onboarding process for new team members
- Work closely with key strategic external clients to grow partnerships, learn about the market, and advance our technical capabilities
- 5+ years of proven experience in a software engineering/development role
- 2+ years experience managing an engineering team
- You consider yourself a player-coach, with the ability to jump into an IDE and help get a feature shipped, in addition to helping the team to do their best work
- Experience designing and building high performance, low latency distributed systems or with modern mobile architecture
- Excellent problem solving and large-scale systems debugging skills
- Track record of shipping and scaling high-quality software systems as an individual contributor and manager
- Strong desire to tackle large-scale problems
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to convey intricate systems and logic to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Top-notch motivational skills and the ability to align teams toward company goals and vision
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.