Foursquare is the leading independent location technology platform, powering business solutions and consumer products through a deep understanding of location. Foursquare’s business solutions include Pilgrim SDK, Places API, Analytics, Placed powered by Foursquare, and Pinpoint. Together, these products empower brands to analyze trends; measure foot traffic lift; optimize advertising campaigns; and drive deeper engagement via Foursquare’s industry-leading developer tools, which have been selected by 150,000 developers including AccuWeather, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Snapchat, Tinder, TripAdvisor, Twitter and Uber. Our toolkit also includes our consumer apps Foursquare City Guide and Swarm. Over the past 10 years, we’ve counted more 13 billion verified signals from people around the world, helping us to keep our dynamic map and models fresh and up-to-date.
About the DCX (Developer and Consumer Experiences) Team:
The DCX team is responsible for the Foursquare technology that people outside of the company interact with to build and consume location in exciting and engaging ways. That spans from the Pilgrim SDK (the always on passive location detection engine) to our apps Foursquare and Swarm. We spend time building features that highlight the value of location for developers wanting to build their own apps, and users who should get a benefit from an app using their location information. The DCX team is a core piece of the Foursquare business and is a high impact team with big implications on the broader company success.
About this role
Join us and help bring our feature ideas (and your own!) off the whiteboard and into reality. Here are some high level areas you could help with:
- Improve the accuracy and efficiency of one of the premier Place search APIs in existence. Our API powers Foursquare City Guide and Swarm as well as apps from Microsoft, Uber, Samsung, Twitter and more
- Build the server side features to support our Pilgrim SDK and its related suite of products.
- Leverage machine learning techniques to build systems which process and derive insights from billions of location data points every day
- Launch features that make cities easier to explore and continue to push the Foursquare City Guide and Swarm apps forward
- Build resilient services and tooling which drive all of our offline processing of petabytes of data
- 4+ years of proven experience building software for fast growing web or mobile products
- Solid foundation in computer science fundamentals with sound knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and design
- Strong Java or other object-oriented programming experience or, even better, experience and/or interest in functional languages (we use Scala!)
- A plus if comfortable with React based websites or if experienced with mobile development
- Bonus points for experience using Spark or, Kafka
- Comfortable in a small and fast-paced startup environment
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or a related field
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.