Foursquare is the leading independent location technology platform, powering business solutions and consumer products through a deep understanding of location. Foursquare’s business solutions include Pilgrim SDK, Places API, Analytics, Placed powered by Foursquare, and Pinpoint. Together, these products empower brands to analyze trends; measure foot traffic lift; optimize advertising campaigns; and drive deeper engagement via Foursquare’s industry-leading developer tools, which have been selected by 150,000 developers including AccuWeather, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Snapchat, Tinder, TripAdvisor, Twitter and Uber. Our toolkit also includes our consumer apps Foursquare City Guide and Swarm. Over the past 10 years, we’ve counted more 13 billion verified signals from people around the world, helping us to keep our dynamic map and models fresh and up-to-date.
About the Developer and Consumer Experiences Team:
The DCX team is responsible for the Foursquare technology that people outside of the company interact with to build and consume location in exciting and engaging ways. That spans from the Pilgrim SDK (the always on passive location detection engine) to our apps Foursquare and Swarm. We spend time building features that highlight the value of location for developers wanting to build their own apps, and users who should get a benefit from an app using their location information. The DCX team is a core piece of the Foursquare business and is a high impact team with big implications on the broader company success.
About the role
Join us and help bring our feature ideas (and your own!) off the whiteboard and into reality. As our Senior Mobile Engineer - Android, you will be responsible for the following:
- Launch features that enable developers to build rich contextual location experiences in their apps.
- Create and execute technical vision for the Pilgrim SDK and the consumer apps, establishing process and tooling improvements to increase code quality
- Mentor and coach junior engineers
- Collaborate with product owners and product managers on roadmaps and OKRs.
- Work on cross-functional project teams with product managers, designers, Android engineers, and server engineers.
- Iterate on features in our first party apps: City Guide and Swarm.
- Interact with SDK partners to solve their needs and listen to their concerns.
The position is available in our Chicago engineering office.
- 4+ years of proven experience working on a team of Android engineers building and maintaining apps, or impressive Android apps that you’ve built personally
- Strong Java or Kotlin skill
- Some iOS experience or exposure to Swift is a plus
- Effective communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Desire to grow and improve engineering skills and Android knowledge
- Comfort and delight in a small, fast-paced startup environment
- Bachelors Degree or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.