Foursquare is the leading independent location technology platform, powering business solutions and consumer products through a deep understanding of location. Foursquare’s business solutions include Pilgrim SDK, Places API, Analytics, Placed powered by Foursquare, and Pinpoint. Together, these products empower brands to analyze trends; measure foot traffic lift; optimize advertising campaigns; and drive deeper engagement via Foursquare’s industry-leading developer tools, which have been selected by 150,000 developers including AccuWeather, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Snapchat, Tinder, TripAdvisor, Twitter and Uber. Our toolkit also includes our consumer apps Foursquare City Guide and Swarm. Over the past 10 years, we’ve counted more 13 billion verified signals from people around the world, helping us to keep our dynamic map and models fresh and up-to-date.
About the Opportunity:
We’re the Foursquare Labs team, a new internal incubation team with the mission to push the boundaries of location-based technology. We work on R&D projects, prototypes, and ship products that aim to fundamentally change how people think about experiences in the physical world.
This team is responsible for shaping the future of the company’s product offerings by exploring what can be built through our deep understanding of how people move through the world. There are an infinite number of possibilities of things we can build, and we’re just getting started!
We are looking to welcome product-minded engineers to the team that will help us brainstorm, prototype, validate, ship, and iterate on crazy ideas that we come up with together. More than that, we’re looking for someone who is excited to help shape the culture of a new team and help define *how* we incubate new products and technologies.
Here are some examples of the types of things we’re looking forward to working with you on:
- Jumping into a room to whiteboard through the very beginnings of ideas with a PM and designer, focusing on expanding the possibilities of what can be done rather than the constraints of what currently exists
- Learning new platforms, frameworks, and technologies to advise the team on the merits of using them to evaluate and test out new concepts
- Repurposing existing internal products, features, and systems to serve as building blocks for entirely different products
- Being an evangelist for the Labs team and for the possibility that location technology enables through blog posts, talks, meetups, and partner meetings
About the iOS Team:
As a member of Foursquare’s iOS engineering team, you’ll be responsible for developing new features in our flagship apps Foursquare and Swarm, the core infrastructure that powers both, and new standalone apps. We’re a small team where everyone gets ownership of large feature areas and exposure to the full iOS stack, from building fun interactive animations to improving the background location technology that powers both apps and allows us to send our users contextual notifications for the places they visit in the real world. We balance a fast-paced release cycle with a passion for quality and performance.
You’ll collaborate closely with other iOS engineers to build features and make our code base better, mentor other engineers and push the boundaries of iOS applications. We work on cross-functional project teams with product managers, designers, Android engineers, and server engineers. You’ll be involved in planning new features and can have a significant impact on our product design and direction.
- 4+ years of proven experience working on a team of iOS engineers building and maintaining apps, or impressive iOS apps that you’ve built personally
- Proficient Objective-C or Swift skill
- Knowledge of UIKit and Cocoa frameworks
- Effective communication skills (both written and verbal)
- A desire to grow and improve engineering skills and iOS knowledge
- Comfort and delight in a small, fast-paced startup environment
- Ideally, you’ve made contributions to one or more apps in the App Store
- Experience with CoreLocation is a plus
- You prefer to ship something and get feedback than to work on making it perfect
- You have a portfolio of apps and websites you have created to showcase ideas, or to test out new technologies
- You have build applications across multiple platforms, including Android or Web.
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.