Foursquare is the leading independent location technology platform, powering business solutions and consumer products through a deep understanding of location. Foursquare’s business solutions include Pilgrim SDK, Places API, Analytics, Placed powered by Foursquare, and Pinpoint. Together, these products empower brands to analyze trends; measure foot traffic lift; optimize advertising campaigns; and drive deeper engagement via Foursquare’s industry-leading developer tools, which have been selected by 150,000 developers including AccuWeather, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Snapchat, Tinder, TripAdvisor, Twitter and Uber. Our toolkit also includes our consumer apps Foursquare City Guide and Swarm. Over the past 10 years, we’ve counted more 13 billion verified signals from people around the world, helping us to keep our dynamic map and models fresh and up-to-date.
About our Engineering Team:
As a member of Foursquare’s engineering team, we want you to bring experience building real products from the ground up. We're passionate about tackling tough challenges in the location space and look for others who like to dive deep into code and help solve hard problems. You should be comfortable running with your own ideas and eager to learn new skills on a bleeding edge platform. We use a variety of tools, technologies, and languages to build software (Scala, Thrift, MongoDB, Memcached, JS/jQuery, Kafka, Pants, Hadoop, MR, Spark) but experience with equivalent ones will do just fine.
Join us and help bring our ideas (and your own!) off the whiteboard and into reality. You'll be a key member of our Attribution team, building a system that builds hundreds of machine learning models per day at scale to drive marketing decisions for many well-known companies. You'll build resilient services and tooling which drive all of our processing of petabytes of dataResponsibilities:
- Develop and maintain our data pipelines using Hadoop, Scalding, Luigi, Spark, Mongo and more
- Partner with the Data Science team to investigate and implement advanced statistical models and machine learning pipelines
- Identify and implement performance improvements across all pipelines
- Data investigations to validate assumptions or find the source of a problem
- Assist client support and sales with client integrations
- 3+ years of experience working with Hadoop MapReduce and/or other big data technologies and pipelines
- You have a solid foundation in computer science fundamentals with particular expertise in data structures, algorithms, and design
- You obsess over data: everything needs to be accounted for and be thoroughly tested
- You are constantly thinking of ways to squeeze better performance out of the pipelines
- Strong Java or other object-oriented programming experience or, even better, experience and/or interest in functional languages (we use Scala!)
- Experience with Scala, Scalding, Luigi,Hive, machine learning pipelines and model training is a plus
- Bachelors Degree or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.