DESCRIPTION: The Thermal and Electrical Engineer is an exciting opportunity for a motivated and passionate individual to join the team at Foundry, a subsidiary of the blockchain industry’s most prolific and active investor, Digital Currency Group. Reporting to the VP, Infrastructure, the Thermal and Electrical Engineer will be responsible for the definition of the product roadmap, and the entire lifecycle of the electrical, thermal, and cooling system development process for mining data center operations, ASIC mining rigs and liquid cooling systems. This role compasses the product life cycles from concept and testing to execution and product revisions.
This is a rare invitation to join a small, highly professional entrepreneurial group, with the backing of the most established player in the fast-growing crypto space.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: The successful individual will perform thermal analysis, test processes, monitor system performances and identify areas that can be improved for greater efficiency. The individual will work very closely with our growing engineering team, technology providers and will have the opportunity to learn about a variety of new technologies that will shape the mining datacenter industry for decades to come. We are looking for a driven individual that is passionate about this profession and wants to be a team member on North America’s top blockchain mining infrastructure provider providing innovation for liquid cooling for mining datacenters and high-performance computing.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Conceptual designs of Immersion Cooling Systems such as tubs, plumbing and coolers for blockchain mining, specifically with dry cooling and water-cooling configurations, for datacenter and container applications.
- Develop scale model systems to prototype conceptual designs.
- Help define Foundry Digital (FD) roadmap for container, cooling, and electrical products for blockchain mining datacenters.
- Manage pressure loss simulation of cooling systems and optimize for efficiency.
- Design and creates documentation such as PI&D.
- Design testing procedures and control equipment to accurately assess products and identify areas that require modification for further testing.
- Work with vendors and partners to plan, design, and build prototype.
- Collaborate with the engineering team and external consultants on manufacturing designs for datacenters.
- Responsible for the calculations and simulations including heat transfer, resistance and CFD.
- Oversee all aspect of production and develops a manufacturing selection process.
- Evaluate cost, feasibility, implementation, and material optimization.
- Benchmark and analyze competitive immersion cooling systems and immersion fluids.
- Work with ASIC providers to design and implement direct cooling (waterblock) systems as a companion product to FD Immersion Products.
- Track and report on changes and industry innovation for cooling, electrical and related datacenter trends.
- Represent FD in HPC and mining industry standards associations.
- Represent FD in industry conferences.
Minimum Qualifications; Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree/Diploma/Higher Diploma in Thermodynamics/Mechanical/Electrical Engineering and/or similar fields.
- Three years of experience with designing cooling systems in industrial buildings and/or datacenters operations, and or equivalent experience.
- Able to perform air flow, thermal flow, and temperature calculations.
- Proficient in AUTOCAD 2D / 3D, SolidWorks and/or similar software.
- Knowledge in pressure drop simulation software is a plus.
- Knowledge in computational fluid dynamics (CFD) and thermal analysis software is preferred.
- Must have strong planning, organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Able to prioritize competing tasks and keeping to critical deadlines.
- Attention to detail with the ability to see the bigger picture and think “out-of-the-box”.
- Self-starter that can be hands-on and able to work independently.
- Excellent communication (verbal & written).
- Strong knowledge in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work in a fast-paced and fun start-up environment with experienced industry leaders
- A learning environment where you can dive deep into the latest technologies and make an impact
- Competitive base salary, bonus and incentive compensation Unlimited PTO / Flexible time off - work with your manager to take time off when you need it
- Professional development budget with flexibility for personal and professional growth
- Outstanding health insurance for employee, partner and dependents
- Life insurance, short-term & long-term disability coverage
- 401K plan with company contribution (Bermuda: Private pension plan with company contribution)
- Flexible spending programs for medical and dependent care (Not available for Bermuda positions)
- Paid parental leave
Foundry takes pride in an environment which prioritizes our people. We insist that our people first culture builds the framework for all business operations.
Employees have ample opportunities to voice thoughts, opinions, and ideas through weekly companywide meetings, monthly townhalls, and team outings and events.
We emphasize the importance of each individual through engagement, teamwork, inclusion, and diversity efforts.
Foundry is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, marital status, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), gender identity, sexual orientation, parental status, national origin, age, disability, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service, or any other non-merit-based factors protected under federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
At Foundry, we are working toward a common goal of empowering a decentralized infrastructure. Our team is passionate about the future of finance and is looking for other like-minded individuals who share in this vision. While we are inclusive and diverse in workforce and style, we all agree that digital assets will change the world.
Foundry was created to meet the institutional demand for better capital access, efficiency, and transparency in the digital currency mining and staking industry.
As a Digital Currency Group company, Foundry taps unparalleled institutional expertise, capital, and market intelligence to provide North American bitcoin miners and global manufacturers with the resources to build, maintain, and secure decentralized networks.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.