The Crypto Data Engineer Lead is an exciting opportunity for a motivated and passionate individual to join the team at Foundry, a subsidiary of the blockchain industry’s most prolific and active investor, Digital Currency Group. Reporting to the CTO, the Crypto Data Engineer Lead aggregates, stores, analyses, and interprets cryptocurrency transaction data in order to facilitate business operations, improve transparency, and provide insight into the crypto-ecosystem.
This is a rare invitation to join a small, highly professional entrepreneurial group, with the backing of the most established player in the fast-growing crypto space.
This position is based at Foundry HQ in Rochester, NY.
- Lead, manage, develop and maintain the Data infrastructure of the DCG Foundry mining and staking operations.
- Define the processes needed to achieve operational excellence in all data related areas
- Architect robust and scalable data collection infrastructure across a variety of protocols
- Work closely with stakeholders including data, design, product and executive teams and assisting them with data-related issues
- Collect, research, and analyze Operational and Blockchain data
- Proposes and implements enhancements that will improve the performance and reliability of these data systems over time.
- Ensures the accuracy and completeness of data in transfer and load to enterprise repositories.
- Establishes and maintains security and integrity of controls.
- Participates in the formulation and monitoring of policies, procedures and standards relating to data warehouse management.
- Works with multi-functional project teams that perform, analyze and document business requirements, perform complex data analysis and mapping, and support end-user acceptance testing to support a variety of business intelligence, reporting, analytical and data visualization needs
- Organize data, and interpret trends and identify patterns
- Work closely with crypto product managers, business analysts and engineers
- Understand internal data practices to identify gaps and areas of inefficiencies
- Collaborate cross-functionally to coordinate and streamline data collection processes
- Write scripts that automate accounting / data processes
- Interface closely with other team engineers to understand Foundry’s mining and staking business
- Lead scripting and scraping projects from Proof-of-Stake protocol web pages in order to prepare data sets for modeling
- Work with Business Team to identify key data points to capture and archive
- Refine data architecture to optimize for retrieval
- Improve resiliency and redundancy of data
- Refine tool to identify and document publicly available data
- Work with Infrastructure Team to analyze infrastructure operational data
- Retrieve data and logs from various infrastructure systems including provisioning, orchestrating, and monitoring systems
- Design and manage data lake and data marts for infrastructure data
- Develop data solutions and support infrastructure information gathering
- Mentor and train other engineers and interns
Minimum Qualifications; Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 8+ years of experience in leading, designing, building, and implementing an ETL system and data lake/mart/warehouse that can support data that is either high in volume, extremely fast in a variability
- Experience scaling and managing 4+ person teams
- Bachelor's degree in a technical field such as computer science, computer engineering or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Very strong experience with relational and non-relational databases, and big data
- Experience with managing integration of data stores, quality and overall implementation
- Experience with data modeling, statistics, and visualization techniques, and ability to drill into the data and gain valuable insights
- Advanced proficiency in analytical or business intelligence tools and MS Office suite including Excel
- Experience in programming languages for data retrieval and analysis such as SQL, Python, Scala, JS
- Strong understanding of data structures, algorithms, and other fundamental concepts
- Interest in researching and analyzing topics related to DeFi and Blockchain
- Passionate about technology and interested in various crypto assets, blockchain, and tech entrepreneurship
- Willingness to understand the intricacies of a variety of crypto protocols
Preferred Qualifications; Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience in data analytics programming languages and OS, ex. Python, Scala, SQL, JS, or R, and Linux operating system
- Strong Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases
- Skilled in Data engineering skills such as extract, transform, and load
- Strong understanding of Pandas, Numpy, Kafka and Timestream
- Ability to enable performant API queries
- Knowledge of REST/HTTP, JSON/XML
- Knowledge of popular analytics tools such as QlikView, Tableau, Splunk, BusinessObjects
- Working Knowledge of Google Cloud Platform/AWS/Azure
- Proactive self-starter with a solutions-focused, positive attitude
- Team player, willing to pitch in wherever needed
- Organized, detail-oriented, and resourceful
- Reliable time management skills and method for tracking objectives and tasks
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to independently manage short term projects from conception to execution and power through setbacks with focus and determination
- Comfort adapting to changing situations and priorities with a high sense of accountability and urgency
- Appreciation of input and candid feedback
Foundry was created to meet the institutional demand for better capital access, efficiency, and transparency in the digital currency mining and staking industry.
As a Digital Currency Group company, Foundry taps unparalleled institutional expertise, capital, and market intelligence to provide North American bitcoin miners and global manufacturers with the resources to build, maintain, and secure decentralized networks.
Foundry’s mission is to empower miners with the tools they need to build tomorrow’s decentralized infrastructure for a digital world and provides North American digital asset mining businesses with capital and intelligence.
General office environment with perks (fully stocked kitchen, flexible workspace, focus on employee engagement, teamwork, inclusion, equity, and diversity).
In order to keep our employees safe, Foundry has implemented an office protocol that requires all employees to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. However, Foundry will consider accommodations for disability- and religious-based reasons on a case by case basis
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, martial status, veteran status, or disability status.