The Software Engineer – Backend is an exciting opportunity for a motivated and passionate individual to join the team at Foundry, a subsidiary of the blockchain industry’s most prolific and active investor, Digital Currency Group. Reporting to the CTO, the Software Engineer - Backend will be focused on optimizing and analyzing Foundry’s mining and staking operations.
This is a rare invitation to join a small, highly professional entrepreneurial group, with the backing of the most established player in the fast-growing crypto space.
- Develop and maintain the infrastructure of the DCG Foundry mining and staking operations. This includes:
- API server
- Back-end software for managing Bitcoin wallet and automating transactions. This software interfaces with Bitcoin Core full nodes through the RPC protocol.
- Ensure strong system security to protect funds in Bitcoin wallet.
- Make sure payment and statistics servers are coded correctly and operating properly.
- Ubuntu Linux system administration for servers running in Amazon AWS or colocation datacenter.
- Write documentation on how to maintain and troubleshoot the system.
- Remain in an on-call rotation with other engineers in the team to troubleshoot critical downtime.
- Work closely with product owners, project managers, other development teams, DevOps and infrastructure teams.
Minimum Qualifications; Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 5+ years professional experience in software engineering, software architecture, focused on backend development
- Bachelor's degree in a technical field such as computer science, computer engineering or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Passionate about technology and interested in Bitcoin, blockchain, and tech entrepreneurship
- Strong understanding of web services, API, databases, I18N, Kafka, and data analysis & reporting
- Interest in researching topics related to digital assets, mining, and staking
- Have a working knowledge of databases and monitoring and alerting systems
- Self-starter, strong problem solving skills, and ability to meet tight deadlines
- Comfortable working in agile and lean project environments
- Working knowledge of Bitcoin mining and/or interest to learn development
Preferred Qualifications; Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Very strong Java programming skills (5+ years recent professional experience). Kotlin skills a big plus.
- Ubuntu Linux system administration
- REST/HTTP, JSON/XML, RPC
- Database Operations (SQL, NoSQL, Redis)
- Cloud servers such as Amazon AWS and Digital Ocean
- Experience in operating mining, staking, or running validating node efforts
- Microservices architecture
- Git version control
- A passion for learning
- Proactive self-starter with a solutions-focused, positive attitude
- Team player, willing to pitch in wherever needed
- Organized, detail-oriented, and resourceful
- Reliable time management skills and method for tracking objectives and tasks
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to independently manage short term projects from conception to execution and power through setbacks with focus and determination
- Comfort adapting to changing situations and priorities with a high sense of accountability and urgency
- Appreciation of input and candid feedback
- Comfortable with startup like environment
This position is open to candidates interested in working remote/hybrid, as well as candidates who desire to work at our physical work location in Rochester NY. For remote candidates we ask that you are within 300 miles of Rochester, NY.
Foundry was created to meet the institutional demand for better capital access, efficiency, and transparency in the digital currency mining and staking industry.
As a Digital Currency Group company, Foundry taps unparalleled institutional expertise, capital, and market intelligence to provide North American bitcoin miners and global manufacturers with the resources to build, maintain, and secure decentralized networks.
Foundry’s mission is to empower miners with the tools they need to build tomorrow’s decentralized infrastructure for a digital world and provides North American digital asset mining businesses with capital and intelligence.
General office environment with perks (fully stocked kitchen, flexible workspace, focus on employee engagement, teamwork, and collaboration).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, martial status, veteran status, or disability status.