Found Energy is a Boston-based, clean energy company producing a carbon-free fuel that is lower-cost and more energy-dense than fossil fuels. This will enable us to decarbonize the most challenging and carbon-intensive industries which are unaddressed by existing technology portfolios. Our technology uses metallic aluminum as the carbon-free fuel to produce hydrogen on-demand for less than $0.50 per kilogram and at five times the volumetric energy density of liquid hydrogen.
Originally spun out of MIT, we are now scaling and translating our hydrogen generation technology to both commercial and humanitarian applications, taking on both the causes and effects of climate change. In the long term, our technology positions aluminum and other materials as carbon-free energy carriers that address the often overlooked problem of renewable energy transportation. At Found Energy, we believe in securing a livable and equitable future for our planet, and we are looking for talented people who are motivated by this goal to join us. For more, visit https://www.found.energy.
Health, dental, 20 days PTO, 11 holidays, unlimited sick days, 3+ months parental leave, stock options, professional development budget, and more.
Found Energy is looking for chemical or process engineers with 2+ years of experience in an industrial setting. Applicants should have prior experience building and designing chemical reactors, plants, power generation, or similar systems. They should also have significant prior experience working with gasses at high temperatures and elevated pressures, including steam, hydrogen, natural gas, or other flammable gasses.
Found Energy has demonstrated its core hydrogen generation technologies at the kW-scale, including a system capable of powering a full-sized electric vehicle. We are now working to scale up the reactor system for both our minimum viable product (MVP) and commercial pilot demonstrations. The completion of the MVP and commercial pilots requires designing and testing numerous sub-processes and sub-systems at the targeted industrial scale, as well as at various intermediate scales along the way.
Chemical engineers in this role will be responsible for directly translating previous and ongoing R&D work into the production units, measuring and tracking performance metrics, and solving key technical issues as they arise. You will also function as the interface to contractors building the various pieces of production equipment for these projects, as well as to our pilot partners.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Design, build, and test reactor prototypes in support of reactor scale-up and pilot projects
- Create process flow diagrams, models, and simulations of the production systems
- Develop safety systems and protocols for the test and production systems
- Work with contractors to specify functional requirements for the various subsystems
- Translate R&D work into production functional requirements and specifications
- Translate partnership specifications into design requirements
- Opportunities to travel domestically and internationally
- Participate in building and growing company culture and values
- Deeply motivated by the climate crisis and its downstream impacts
- 2+ years of work experience in chemical engineering, process engineering, or related fields
- Candidates with additional experience will be considered and role designation will be commensurate with experience
- Exceptional communication and documentation skills
- Experience in one or multiple of the following:
- Chemical separation and purification processes
- Designing and assembling chemical processing systems
- Creating process flow diagrams and chemical system simulations/models
- Hydrogen handling and safety equipment, including fuel cells
- Sensor integration and data acquisition
- Power conditioning and electronics (boost/buck converters, rectifiers, PCB design, etc.)
- Familiarity with Linux/Unix-based operating systems via command line
- Familiarity with one or more software languages (Python, C++, MATLAB, etc.)
- Thermodynamics theory and modeling software (e.g. EES, REFPROP)
- Experience with 5S or similar methodologies
Research suggests that qualified people from historically marginalized groups may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage individuals who might not meet the exact requirements, but who believe they have the skills necessary to thrive to apply for this role.
Found Energy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.