Found Energy is building clean energy delivery platforms capable of replacing fossil fuels for heavy industries ranging from aluminum production (4% of global CO2 emissions) to fertilizer production (2% of global CO2 emissions) to maritime shipping (3% of global CO2 emissions). Building off technology developed at MIT that enables metallic aluminum to split water, our energy delivery systems safely generate hydrogen and industrial heat on-site at >5x the volumetric energy density of liquid hydrogen and >3x that of methanol and ammonia. By integrating storage, transport, and generation into a single package, our technology solves some of the biggest pain points in renewable energy transportation and storage.
At Found Energy, we believe in securing a livable and equitable future for our planet, and we are looking for partners who are motivated by this goal to join us. For more information, visit https://found.energy.
Health, dental, 20 days PTO, 11 holidays, unlimited sick days, 12 weeks parental leave, stock options, professional development budget, and more.
Found Energy is looking for chemical or process engineers with experience ranging from 2-5+ years in industry as well as recent graduates with demonstrated project experience. Applicants should have prior experience building and designing chemical reactors, plants, power generation, or similar systems. Candidates for advanced roles should also have significant prior experience working with gasses at moderate or high temperatures and elevated pressures, including steam, hydrogen, natural gas, or other flammable gasses.
Found Energy has demonstrated its core hydrogen generation technologies at the kW-scale, including a system capable of powering a full-sized electric vehicle. We are now working to scale up the reactor system for both our minimum viable product (MVP) and commercial pilot demonstrations. The completion of the MVP and commercial pilots requires designing and testing numerous sub-processes and sub-systems at the targeted industrial scale, as well as at various intermediate scales along the way.
Chemical engineers in this role will be responsible for directly translating previous and ongoing R&D work into prototypes and production units, while measuring and tracking performance metrics, and solving key technical issues as they arise. You will interface with our customer and pilot partners to develop solutions and customize our technology to meet their technical requirements.
Good chemical hygiene and safety practices are paramount. You will be expected to participate, lead, and improve upon our chemical hygiene and safety protocols.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Design, build, and test reactor prototypes in support of reactor scale-up and pilot projects
- Design and build test platforms for rapidly iterating and validating subsystems
- Perform data analysis on reactor test results to identify improved operating conditions
- Create process flow diagrams, models, and simulations of prototype and production units
- Produce and maintain P&ID and other documentation
- Specify, downselect, and modify COTS components for integration into subsystems
- Participate in and lead design reviews of chemical process subsystems
- Develop safety systems and protocols for the prototype and production systems
- Develop and maintain SOP documentation for prototype and production systems
- Translate R&D work into prototype functional requirements and specifications
- Translate partnership specifications into design requirements
- Opportunities to travel domestically and internationally
- Participate in building and growing company culture and values
- Deeply motivated by the climate crisis and its downstream impacts
- 2-5+ years of work experience in chemical engineering, process engineering, or related fields; or recent graduate with a degree in chemical engineering, process engineering, or a related field from an accredited institution and demonstrated hands-on experience (projects, co-ops, etc.)
- Note: Role designation will be commensurate with experience and candidates with additional experience will be considered for advanced individual contributor roles
- Exceptional communication and documentation skills
- Experience in one or multiple of the following:
- Chemical reactor design, assembly, and validation
- Familiarity with process control systems, PID controllers, and PLC controllers
- Chemical separation and purification processes
- Solid-liquid separation and filtration
- Sourcing and integrating pumps, valves, and other essential equipment for fluid control and transport within the process system
- Creating process flow diagrams and chemical system simulations/models
- Hydrogen handling and safety equipment, including fuel cells
- Sensor integration and data acquisition
- Familiarity with Linux/Unix-based operating systems via command line
- Familiarity with one or more software languages (Python, C++, MATLAB, etc.)
- Thermodynamics theory and modeling software (e.g. EES, REFPROP)
- Experience with 5S or similar methodologies