Forward Financing has been recognized as one of the fastest-growing FinTech companies in Boston for the past five years, as recognized by Boston Business Journal, Inc. Magazine, and Deloitte Fast 500. We help small businesses spend less time finding capital and more time helping their customers and managing their businesses. Our mission is to create a world-class FinTech company so that our customers and our people can reach their full potential. We accomplish this by investing in our people, technology, and customer experience – with long-term success in mind.
As the sole Assistant General Counsel, you will be responsible for overseeing a wide variety of legal matters, and your work will connect you to every aspect of our business. You will report directly to the General Counsel. If you are great at multi-tasking, enjoy many aspects of legal practice, and are looking for a position with room to grow, this is the job for you!
In this role you will:
- Have an existing team of two direct reports, and will further build that team out as time progresses.
- Oversee a wide variety of matters coming into the Legal Department. You will collaborate frequently with other attorneys, legal staff, as well as employees in different departments throughout the company.
- Further enhance our overall compliance program in numerous areas, including data privacy and security, sales, collections, marketing, employment and others.
- Work with our CEO and General Counsel on matters related to regulatory and legislative initiatives.
- Be responsible for maintaining comprehensive policies/written protocols that reflect the company’s work on building an A+ compliance program.
- Negotiate NDAs, data privacy agreements, and vendor contracts.
- Work on litigation matters.
- Stay up to date on new statutes, regulations, case law, and best practices, and incorporate these into the company’s policies.
- Assist in developing and delivering trainings for employees and executives on a variety of subjects, including ethics, privacy compliance, and other relevant legal issues.
- Provide recommendations to General Counsel and other senior management regarding potential solutions to legal issues as they arise.
- Provide assistance on various other general matters within the Legal Department.
- Get to be part of a fun and energetic Legal Team!
Requirements: (Even if you don’t check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply.)
- 7+ years experience working as an attorney, either at large law firm or in-house.
- Wide variety of legal experience, litigation or transactional.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with executive management, fellow employees and external counsel.
- Ability to break down complicated laws and regulations into understandable and approachable language.
- Strong management skills.
- Excellent writing skills and meticulous attention to detail.
- Self-motivated, organized and able to work independently.
- Effective in a fast-paced environment.
- Tactful with strong negotiation skills.
- Admitted & in good standing with Massachusetts or other state bar.
Forward Financing Core Values:
- People First – We build relationships and support each other.
- We Before Me – We prioritize team success over individual success.
- Be Candid – We are authentic, honest, and direct.
- Do the Right Thing – We act with integrity, and we don’t cut corners.
- Continuous Improvement – We push ourselves, never settling for the best we did yesterday.
- Be Positive – We are optimistic and assume positive intent.
Forward Financing is a Boston-based FinTech company that provides fast, flexible, and reliable capital to small businesses nationwide. Since 2012, Forward Financing has provided over $1.1 billion in financing to more than 27,000 small businesses. Forward Financing has been consistently named by the Boston Business Journal and Built in Boston as one of the best places to work in Massachusetts.
Forward Financing actively promotes a focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion in all we do. We encourage a workplace where trust and respect are paramount and all employees feel valued, heard, and accepted. By accepting diversity of thought, background, and identity, we will continue to become a stronger team and a better organization.
We are a diverse and driven group of over 100 people, located in the heart of Boston’s Financial District. Our employees come to work knowing they are helping thousands of small businesses while advancing their own careers. If this sounds exciting to you, learn more about our leadership team and our open opportunities.
Perks & Benefits:
At Forward Financing, we believe that if our company succeeds, all of our employees succeed too. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including but not limited to; medical, dental, vision and commuter benefits along with a flexible time off policy, 401k match, wellness reimbursement, paid volunteering days, annual professional development budget, and charitable donation match.
When we aren’t on a Zoom meeting, supporting our customers, or working on a project, you can likely find us taking part in a scavenger hunt, a virtual trivia game, or celebrating team wins together!