Want to disrupt one of the largest industries in the world? Fortera is a Renewable Materials Technology Company headquartered in Silicon Valley that has created a new low-cost, low CO2 cement that can reduce cement emissions by 60% and global CO2 emissions by 5%. The technology is inspired by nature and directly converts CO2 into a replacement for ordinary cement, turning a problem into a product. With over ten years of testing and 100,000 hours of R&D backing the technology, Fortera is ready to grow the team and begin commercial production of this exciting new product. Be on the ground floor of a carbon-to-value movement that will impact millions for generations to come. We are looking for passionate thinkers, doers, and problem-solvers who share our vision that big challenges are big opportunities for change. Visit www.forteraglobal.com for more information.
Fortera is seeking an experienced Senior Vice President, Capital Project Execution to execute its strategic plan to build on time and on budget a several billion-dollar portfolio of low carbon cement and lime manufacturing facilities over the next five years. This executive position will report directly to the CEO and have a senior leadership responsibility for overseeing and directing the successful project execution from an engineering, procurement, and construction perspective of all Fortera capital projects as well as the associated development activities for site/land and building developments of such projects including design, power and water supply and local customer logistics coordination. This position involves strategic planning, managing a team of professionals, collaborating with stakeholders, and ensuring that projects are completed on time, and within budget. Your expertise in large capital plant construction, project management and leadership will be crucial in driving our organization’s growth and success.
You will be accountable for the overall project execution and management work process, scope for projects being executed for approximately $1 billion or more of projects starting construction over the next several years. Accountability includes strategic and tactical matters associated with capital projects and construction management commencing during the bid development phase and continues through start-up and commissioning.
The ideal candidate must possess expert-level capital projects management and construction/EPCM management skills and knowledge along with exceptional communication and influencing skills. The role requires significant interaction with internal groups such as project management, engineering, legal, procurement, EPC firms and construction contractors ensuring effective coordination across all involved supporting project delivery commitments. You will also interface extensively with the customer on engineering and technical matters.
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for the organization’s capital projects portfolio. Monitor every facet of the development process in capital projects that are assigned, including:
- Develop project plans, including scope, objectives, deliverables, and timelines.
- Schedule, budget, and plan development.
- Lead EPC bidding, award process, and contract negotiations.
- Regulate on-site inspections of progress, safety & quality.
- Provide conceptual and pre-construction estimating for all aspects of development.
- Manage procurement of project permits and approvals.
- Hire and manage design professionals and consultants.
- Partner with the CFO, Legal, and the Chief Manufacturing Officer in evaluating site acquisitions and dispositions.
- Effectively communicate prudent information regarding project status to team members and senior leadership throughout the company.
- Provide technical support in the financing of all new projects.
- Ensure the organization’s capital project portfolio supports long-term growth and profitability.
- Develop budgets, define project scope, objectives, deliverable and timelines.
- Define capital project strategies, resource requirement, and risk mitigation plans.
- Track costs, both hard and soft costs for land, infrastructure, and building construction for both build-to-suit and speculative developments.
- Oversee all aspects of EPC management of projects, from planning and design to procurement, construction execution, and project close out.
- Develop, tender, and manage EPC projects ranging from $50M to $500M+ in total cost.
- Lead a team of capital project managers, consultants, and contractors to obtain the regional capital deployment goals and objectives.
- Monitor trends in the local construction market including pricing of materials and labor.
- Research design, construction alternatives, and value engineering opportunities that will drive innovation in plant development without compromising functionality or life cycle costs.
- Ensure compliance with cement plant industry standards, codes, regulations, and safety protocols throughout the construction process.
- Monitor project progress, track KPI’s and report on project status to senior team.
- Bachelor of Science in Construction Management, or Engineering (Civil or Structural) is desired. Master’s degree preferred.
- 15+ years of extensive experience in large capital projects execution including planning, implementation, and delivery in a similar role working in the field of Civil Engineering, or Construction Management.
- In-depth knowledge of chemical, cement or heavy industrial plant construction processes, safety protocols, and industry standards.
- Experience working with heavy industrial EPC companies.
- Experience developing front end engineering and detailed engineering packages.
- Experience in local industrial development, site municipal and other governmental approvals, and construction.
- Large, complex, and diverse project execution experience required.
- Experience in industrial and commercial construction in the field of cement production preferred.
- Project management experience with a general contractor preferred.
- Self-motivated and ability to adapt, multi-task and prioritize with minimal direction.
- Ability to collaborate and work in a team to solve problems.
- Highly analytical, detail oriented, and well organized.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with effective public presentation abilities.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time within markets.
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- A professional license (Engineer, Contractor etc.) is desirable but not required.
The compensation package for this role includes a competitive base salary commensurate with experience of $250,000 - $290,000, well as an annual bonus and pre-IPO incentive stock options.
PERKS AND BENEFITS:
We know that happy employees are productive employees, which is why we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- 100% company-funded Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability coverages for employees
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account options
- Tax deferred & Roth 401k
- Paid vacation days (increased with tenure), 12 paid holidays, and unlimited PTO for exempt employees.
Fortera is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other status protected by applicable law. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.