Want to disrupt one of the largest industries in the world? Fortera is a Materials Technology Company headquartered in Silicon Valley that has created a new low-cost, low CO2 cement that can reduce cement emissions by 60% and global CO2 emissions by 5%. The technology is inspired by nature and directly converts CO2 into a replacement for ordinary cement, turning a problem into a product. With over ten years of testing and 100,000 hours of R&D backing the technology, Fortera is ready to grow the team and begin commercial production of this exciting new product. Be on the ground floor of a carbon-to-value movement that will impact millions for generations to come. We are looking for passionate thinkers, doers, and problem-solvers who share our vision that big challenges are big opportunities for change. Visit www.ForteraUSA.com for more information.
This position will lead laboratory efforts to pioneer new process chemistries, cementitious materials, and carbonate morphologies. The role will include experimenting with processes related to the precipitation of carbonates from aqueous solutions, altering cementitious matrices to optimize transformation kinetics and property development, and developing new reaction schemes and pathways.
This individual must be able to deal with the unknown challenges brought on by experimenting with new technology, processes, and scale-up conditions. The ideal candidate must be comfortable with not knowing all the answers but be able to make decisions and recommendations as we go.
This position will be part of the Innovation team within the R&D department.
- Conduct experiments utilizing an aqueous precipitation reactor
- Characterize precipitation products via XRD, SEM, PSA, TGA, titrations, etc.
- Investigate calcium carbonate and cementitious materials transformation reactions
- Endeavor to meet development milestones
- Contribute to product strategy planning and prioritization of R&D efforts
- Generate high quality reports of findings and conclusions to present to the R&D team
- Coordinate with the Process Development and Product Development groups to understand the interaction of production process parameters and product performance
- Follow established laboratory safety protocols and procedures
- Develop recommendations and implement solutions to improve established processes
- Maintain complete and accurate records of work performed and report results in a precise format for inclusion in our laboratory information management system
- Create and implement Standard Operating Procedures
- Research and create new approaches for analyzing material
- Conduct literature reviews and use historical data to develop innovative uses of the Fortera cementitious material
- Write invention disclosures, support patent applications, and author articles explaining our technology
- Master’s degree in Materials Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or equivalent
- Experience in carbonate chemistry
- Experience operating analytical equipment
- Capable of independently organizing and prioritizing work
- Strong work ethic and ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent communication skills and eagerness to work with colleagues
Fortera is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other status protected by applicable law. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.