Want to disrupt one of the largest industries in the world? Fortera is a Materials Technology Company headquartered in Silicon Valley that has created a new low-cost, low CO2 cement that can reduce cement emissions by 60% and global CO2 emissions by 5%. The technology is inspired by nature and directly converts CO2 into a replacement for ordinary cement, turning a problem into a product. With over ten years of testing and 100,000 hours of R&D backing the technology, Fortera is ready to grow the team and begin commercial production of this exciting new product. Be on the ground floor of a carbon-to-value movement that will impact millions for generations to come. We are looking for passionate thinkers, doers, and problem-solvers who share our vision that big challenges are big opportunities for change. Visit www.ForteraUSA.com for more information.
The Senior Scientist will lead laboratory efforts to design and optimize our cement production process. The role will include experimenting with processes related to ASTM standards for cementitious materials.
This individual must be able to deal with the unknown challenges brought on by experimenting with new technology, processes, and scale up conditions. The ideal candidate must be comfortable with not knowing all the answers but be able to make decisions and recommendations as we go.
This position will be part of the Product team within the R&D department.
- Conduct and supervise experiments on cement pastes, mortars, and concrete
- Ensure accurate mix preparation
- Mix mortar & concrete following ASTM standards
- Conduct comprehensive compressive strength tests
- Organize the efforts of the Product Team to meet development milestones
- Contribute to product strategy planning and prioritization of R&D efforts
- Generate high quality reports of findings and conclusions to present to the R&D team
- Coordinate with the Process Development group to understand the interaction of production process parameters and product performance
- Follow established laboratory safety protocols and procedures
- Develop recommendations and implement solutions to improve established processes
- Maintain complete and accurate records of work performed and report results in a precise format for inclusion in our laboratory information management system
- Create Standard Operating Procedures; implement the SOPs and train employees
- Research and create new approaches for analyzing material
- Conduct literature reviews and use historical data to develop innovative uses of the Fortera cementitious material
- Master’s degree in Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, or equivalent
- 5+ years hands on experience in cement chemistry
- Experience operating analytical equipment to drive conclusions about cementitious materials and their performance
- Capable of independently organizing and prioritizing work
- Strong work ethic and ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent communication skills and eagerness to work with colleagues
- Managerial experience preferred
Fortera is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other status protected by applicable law. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.