Want to disrupt one of the largest industries in the world? Fortera is a Materials Technology Company headquartered in Silicon Valley that has created a new low-cost, low CO2 cement that can reduce cement emissions by 60% and global CO2 emissions by 5%. The technology is inspired by nature and directly converts CO2 into a replacement for ordinary cement, turning a problem into a product. With over ten years of testing and 100,000 hours of R&D backing the technology, Fortera is ready to grow the team and begin commercial production of this exciting new product. Be on the ground floor of a carbon-to-value movement that will impact millions for generations to come. We are looking for passionate thinkers, doers, and problem-solvers who share our vision that big challenges are big opportunities for change. Visit www.ForteraUSA.com for more information.
The Senior Process Engineer will lead engineering support for successful design and operation of all Fortera processes: mineral grinding, kiln operation/calcination, mineral dissolution, gas absorption, precipitation, solids dewatering, and drying.
This is a hands-on role requiring a driven, experienced mechanical or chemical engineer who would be versatile enough to bridge the gap between R&D and outside engineering firms.
The position is best suited for someone with chemical production experience who understands plant operations, can effectively oversee the plant engineering activities, and own all equipment design and specifications decisions.
This individual must be able to deal with the unknown challenges brought on by implementing new technology and manufacturing processes and is comfortable with not knowing all the answers but be able to make decisions and recommendations as we go.
- Validate production equipment selection
- Summarize process and regulatory requirements to evaluate and select plant equipment
- Oversee plant instrumentation and valve selections
- Oversee plant piping material selections, line sizing, and pipe routing
- Participate in plant design Process Hazard Analysis and lead close-out resolutions
- Develop and oversee the management of change program following the Process Hazard Analysis
- Refine plant operation procedure program
- Manage the development and implementation of the process controls
- Nominally 15% travel to plant site in Redding, CA during construction and commissioning.
- Minimum B.S. in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering
- 10+ years engineering experience designing, scaling, building, and commissioning a chemical or materials manufacturing plant or similar production plant
- Well versed in engineering design utilizing PFDs, P&IDs, and Process Hazard Analyses (PHA)
- Experience designing a plant through to its operation. (Direct experience in cement is not necessary, but experience producing chemicals or materials at multiple scales is a plus)
- Proficient with the following process modeling software: ChemCAD, Aspen, or HYSYS, (Heat and Mass Balance is a plus)
- Commanding knowledge of solids material handling
- Experience interacting with external engineering firms, contractors, and equipment suppliers
- Strong mechanical skills associated with plant operations and equipment
- Experience with process control schemes and implementation
- Experience with PLC controls for pilot and commercial plant operations; Allen-Bradley preferred
Fortera is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other status protected by applicable law. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.