Forter provides new-generation fraud prevention to meet the challenges faced by modern enterprise e-commerce. Only Forter provides fully automated, real-time Decision as a Service™ fraud prevention, with approve/decline decisions backed by a 100% chargeback guarantee. The system eliminates the need for rules, scores, or manual reviews, making fraud prevention friction-free. The result is fraud prevention that is invisible to buyers and empowers merchants with increased approvals, smoother checkout, and the near elimination of false positives - meaning more sales and happier customers.
About the team:
In order to reach and maintain our high decision accuracy, we rely heavily on our data, which contains 1000s of fields, dispersed across many different types of data stores, and amounts to PBs in size. As we grow as a company, so do the needs for putting more order and structure in our data, for increasing its visibility to various stakeholders in the organization, and for observing data volumes and growth trends to ensure cost-efficiency.
The Data Observability team’s mission is to organize and provide visibility into Forter’s massive amounts of data, by owning Forter’s metadata and creating infrastructure, services and tools to support both engineering and analytics teams who produce it, as well as consumers of this metadata. The team aims to create a catalog for our data, in addition to standardizing our data schema in order to make the data more accessible, reinforce data quality, and support systems decoupling.
These infrastructure and tools are essential to Forter’s mission. They lay critical groundwork for Forter to meet its privacy and security standards and commitments, promote engineering velocity and teams’ autonomy through decoupling of systems, and provide enhanced visibility into our data to support research, cost optimization, and BI capabilities.
The team will take up on these challenges, and steer us forward so we can continue to significantly grow our data volumes in an orderly, efficient and sustainable manner, while adhering to our security and privacy policies.
What you'll be doing:
- Build and lead a team of 4 Software Engineers
- Lead complex development projects, working with product managers and other stakeholders to define features and scope, and to guide decisions and tradeoffs
- Design, build and own Forter’s metadata infrastructure and data catalog
- Create schema infrastructure and tools to promote standardization of data pipelines, support systems decoupling and reinforce data quality
- Develop tools to provide visibility into our data costs and trends, enabling customer teams to reason about their data better and optimize it
- Lay critical groundwork for Forter to meet its privacy and security standards and commitments
- Collaborate with and build a great customer experience for engineers and analysts using your infrastructure
- Mentor and guide engineers on the team, supporting their growth
What you'll need:
- Managed 3 or more engineers for 2+ years
- 5+ years of experience as a backend-oriented software engineer.
- Experience with relational DBs and NoSql DBs (e.g. MySQL, Redis, ElasticSearch, Couchbase, etc.)
- Deep level understanding of schema design, formats and tools
- Experience in working with public clouds (AWS / GCP / Azure)
- Strong Python experience
- Excellent presentation skills - can talk and explain at the right level of abstraction to different audiences
Examples for projects your team would own:
- Forter’s Data Catalog, gathering metadata from Forter’s various datastores and exposing it via UI & API to support privacy, legal and research purposes
- Schema infrastructure and tools, to standardize data & data pipelines and reinforce decoupling in Forter’s systems
- Tools for data volumes & costs visibility, supporting data and costs optimization efforts
In Forter, developers who have founders’ mentality thrive. With many technical challenges alongside complex systems, developers get to lead and impact as much as they can and want. From leading cross-team, highly coordinated projects, to deeply technical and highly challenging, long-term projects.
We work together. It’s important for us to cultivate the team mindset and know that people care about our well-being and are there to help when needed. We try as best as we can to keep office politics outside.
We don’t have QA, we don’t have Architects (“CTO team”), we don’t have a NOC or SOC team. We look at our team as part of the system that we build, so we optimize the process and tools to fit our team. Most of our team has a generalist-mindset, but our system is vast and we have people developing expertise in areas they are passionate about.
We are big believers in having Skin in the game as a way of setting the alignment of incentives to build things right, and picking boring technology as we respect the complexity of our system and business.
At Forter, we believe unique people create unique ideas, and valuable experience comes in many forms. So, even if your background doesn't match everything we have listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply and tell us why your skills and values could be an asset to us. By welcoming different perspectives, we grow together as humans and as a company.
Forter is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.