*Forter does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Forter (or any related) jobs alias or directly to any Forter employees. Forter will not be responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Forter provides new generation fraud prevention to meet the challenges faced by modern enterprise e-commerce. Only Forter provides fully automated, real-time Decision as a Service™ fraud prevention, with approve/decline decisions backed by a 100% chargeback guarantee. The system eliminates the need for rules, scores, or manual reviews, making fraud prevention friction-free. The result is fraud prevention that is invisible to buyers and empowers merchants with increased approvals, smoother checkout, and the near elimination of false positives - meaning more sales and happier customers. Behind the scenes, Forter’s machine learning technology combines advanced cyber intelligence with behavioral and identity analysis to create a multi-layered fraud detection mechanism.
Forter is looking for a Director of Infrastructure & (Cloud) Security to lead our Infrastructure and Cloud Security team and infrastructure expansion projects. This role reports to the VP of Engineering.
Reliability, latency, security, and being present where and when our customers need us are critical measures of our success. Every request we process is extremely important to everyone involved. We processed ecommerce transactions worth over $200B in 2020, and made decisions on billions of critical transactions. We utilize highly sensitive information to catch fraudsters and abusers and allow our consumers to operate friction-free. Our systems run on thousands of machines, throughout multiple regions (and clouds!), at a massive scale to provide the best service to the enterprise customers we serve.
If this kind of working environment sounds exciting to you, and if you understand that Engineering is about building the most effective and elegant solution within a given set of constraints - consider applying for this position!
We don't consider DevOps a title, we consider it a culture
Our infrastructure teams focus on building the tools that will serve all of our engineering teams (as well as analysts, data scientists, and research engineers). Our Security Engineering team focuses on building tools to help us protect our data & systems, while increasing the velocity of the engineering teams.
Each team at Forter is responsible for their data sources and applications. Each team has its own on-call. Each team considers security practices and requirements as a part of the design of their systems, fixes security vulnerabilities, and performs required upgrades.
As Director of Infrastructure & Security, your goal is to enable these teams to do that with maximum efficiency and happiness. We believe that dev experience really makes a difference here!
Stuff you’ll do:
- Manage processes to help the team do its best work and engage effectively with the Forter team
- Lead large, time-constrained projects to completion. Manage these projects (>10-20 people, e.g. Multi-cloud and new Data Centers) that require complex coordination with other groups and teams at Forter
- Build and monitor the ‘paved road’ that delivers a frictionless experience (with clear KPIs and SLAs), allowing all of our engineering teams to work in a robust and secure manner by default
- Collaborate with our CISO, Legal, Engineering, Research, Finance, and Corporate IT leaders to rapidly and fundamentally transform the security posture of the business
- Recruit great engineers and engineering managers, in collaboration with the recruiting team
- Develop Staff and Principal engineers on the team, helping them advance in their careers
- Mentor and coach managers to create healthy and high performing teams
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Forter’s engineering management team
- Work closely with our engineering teams and product team to help prioritize products that would increase the teams’ effectiveness and efficiency
- Work in brownfield environments
- Imagine a future for legacy systems and plan migrations in evolutionary steps
Stuff you'll need:
- 3+ years of management experience
- Experience growing teams of 15+ engineers
- Extensive experience and a genuine passion for building and running cutting-edge infrastructure and security teams
- Track record of successfully recruiting and building great teams
- Proven success in leading a project with 10+ engineers to completion
- Ability to work well cross-functionally, and to think rigorously and make hard decisions and tradeoffs
- 8+ years experience of developing complex software projects (Python/Go/Java/etc)
- 3+ years working with Infrastructure As Code tools (Cloudformation/Terraform/Pulumi)
- Extensive experience working with public clouds (AWS/GCP/Azure)
- High standards of success when working with production
- Excellent presentation skills, with the ability to speak and explain at the right level of abstraction to different audiences
- Fluency in written and spoken English
We’d especially love to hear from you if:
- You are confident representing your agenda and opinions in a business full of engaged, passionate people
- You are passionate about building products and tools that developers love to use
What it’s like to work at Forter:
We believe that head-count is a vanity metric (i.e. more doesn’t necessarily mean better), and that people matter! This is why we prefer smaller teams, made up of talented and cohesive individuals.
We believe in increasing and improving the IQ and EQ of our team over time, by building an organization that will draw such people to us. We care immensely about how the team works together, and we do not shy away from hard conversations. When you try to make an impact, friction is something you need to deal with.
We don’t have QA, we don’t have Architects, we don’t have an NOC or an SOC team. We look at our team as a part of the system that we build, so we optimize the process and tools to fit our team. Most of our team has a generalist-mindset, but our system is vast and we have people developing expertise in areas they are passionate about.
We are big believers in having skin in the game as a way of setting the alignment of incentives to build things right, and picking boring technology as we respect the complexity of our system and business.
You should plan on helping us build a better version of Forter, rather than a smaller version of a large company.
If you’re up for the challenge, please submit your CV!
Forter is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.