Forter provides new generation fraud prevention to meet the challenges faced by modern enterprise e-commerce. Only Forter provides fully automated, real-time Decision as a Service™ fraud prevention, with approve/decline decisions backed by a 100% chargeback guarantee. The system eliminates the need for rules, scores or manual reviews, making fraud prevention friction-free. The result is fraud prevention that is invisible to buyers and empowers merchants with increased approvals, smoother checkout and the near elimination of inaccurate decisions - meaning more sales and happier customers. Behind the scenes, Forter’s machine learning technology combines advanced cyber intelligence with behavioral and identity analysis to create a multi-layered fraud detection mechanism.
Forter is looking for a Senior Infrastructure Engineer with broad experience building state-of-the-art services and systems to join our Infrastructure team.
While we don’t process quite as many requests as Google, Twitter, or Facebook, we do care a great deal about reliability and latency. Every request we process is important to everyone involved. We can’t go down because our customers’ businesses depend on us: we processed eCommerce transactions worth over $140B in 2019, and decided on billions of critical decisions.
If this kind of working environment sounds exciting to you, if you understand that Engineering is about building the most effective and elegant solution within a given set of constraints - consider applying for this position. But hold on, you best check the position requirements first :)
We don't take DevOps as a title but as a culture
Our infrastructure team focuses on building the tools that can serve all of our engineering teams (as well as analysts, data scientists, and research engineers). For example, you’ll be creating an infrastructure that will make it easy to deploy very large ElasticSearch clusters, including tools to upgrade them to newer ES versions with no downtime, automatically take out a failing node and recover from that, etc.
Each team at Forter is responsible for their databases and applications. Each team has their own on-call. Your goal would be to enable them to do that with maximum efficiency and happiness (dev experience matters!)
Your operational effort will be around the infrastructure and tools we provide and maintain as a cross-cutting concern for the entire R&D, e.g. how we do monitoring & alerts, our CI/CD stack, automation around change management across regions & clouds, etc.
Stuff you’ll be doing:
- Design, build and maintain the core infrastructure used by all of Forter’s engineering teams
- Build a great customer experience for people using your infrastructure
- Managing multi-cloud, geo-distributed high throughput systems with a 99.999% availability SLA target
- Tackling scalability, performance, usability, and reliability challenges in a variety of fields such as Security, BigData, Monitoring & Alerting, Cloud Infrastructure
- Implementing systems that are highly resilient and self-healing with the intent of replacing Alerts and Ops work with automation wherever possible
Stuff we need you to have:
- Extensive experience with Configuration Management tools (Chef / Ansible / Salt / etc.)
- 3+ years developing complex software projects (Python / Ruby / Go / etc.)
- 2+ years working with Infrastructure As Code tools (Cloudformation / Terraform / Pulumi)
- Extensive experience working with public clouds (AWS / GCP / Azure)
- Hands-on experience managing and scaling data stores and pipelines such as Kafka, Redis, ElasticSearch, MySQL
- Solid grasp of Computer Systems fundamentals: Networking, Crypto/PKI, Linux-based OS, and its subsystems
- Solid system analysis skills and good troubleshooting grasp
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production
- Fluent in written and spoken English
Projects you could work on:
We have a ton of important work to do, which is why we’re hiring! Our projects are of course changing all the time, but here are a few that we’ve either done in the past or are planning for the near future, so you can get an idea of the types of work we do.
- Cross-region and cross-cloud data replication services, on top of our event-sourcing backbone.
- An infrastructure to manage multi-cloud deployments, monitoring, and alerts. Including Blue-Green deployments and canary testing (with quick reverts) as building blocks.
- Tracing requests across services, with information around latency - every ms counts!
- Migrate a large system (>1000 servers) to cloud-agnostic technologies (e.g. K8S, Kafka, etc.) with no downtime.
- Introduce Chaos Engineering practices and tools (such as gremlin.com) to help us build an anti-fragile mindset in the way we write, operate, and maintain software.
- Redesign our monitoring, logging, and alerting infrastructure to keep up with the ever-growing ingest rate (many terabytes per day).
It’d be really cool if you also:
- Built and ran a Kubernetes or HashiCorp’s Nomad cluster
- Have experience with Elastic’s ELK stack
- Familiar with HashiCorp’s tools: Vault, Consul, etc.
- Know to take care of cost optimization (FinOps)
- Have experience working with TSDB metrics, APM and Tracing monitoring tools/solutions
What it’s like to work at Forter:
We believe that head-count is a vanity metric (i.e. more doesn’t necessarily mean better), and that people matter! This is why we prefer smaller teams of talented and cohesive teams over “just give us some more working hands”.
We believe that the metric we should optimize for is increasing the IQ and EQ of our team over time, by building an organization that will draw such people to us. We care immensely about how the team works together, and we’re not shy from hard conversations. When you try to make an impact, friction (of opinions, or business constraints) is something you need to deal with.
We don’t have QA, we don’t have Architects (“CTO team”), we don’t have a NOC nor SOC team. We look at our team as part of the system that we build, so we optimize the process and tools to fit our team. Most of our team has a generalist-mindset, but our system is vast and we have people developing expertise in areas they are passionate about.
We are big believers in having Skin in the game as a way of setting the alignment of incentives to build things right, and picking boring technology as we respect the complexity of our system and business.
You should join to help us build a better version of Forter, rather than a smaller version of a large company.
If you’re up for the challenge, please submit your CV.
At Forter, we believe unique people create unique ideas, and valuable experience comes in many forms. So, even if your background doesn't match everything we have listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply and tell us why your skills and values could be an asset to us. By welcoming different perspectives, we grow together as humans and as a company.