Forter provides a new generation approach to meeting the challenges faced by modern enterprise e-commerce. From attracting and retaining the right shoppers by reducing friction and boosting consumer confidence across the entire purchase journey, to fighting sophisticated fraudsters and reducing chargeback losses, only Forter provides a fully automated, real-time Decision as a Service™ platform. Behind the scenes, Forter’s machine learning technology combines advanced cyber intelligence with behavioral and identity analysis to create a multi-layered detection and decisioning mechanism. Across all our client's sites, we have created a network of over 800 million buyer identities globally. Our success so far in the marketplace has allowed us to achieve a total series F valuation of over $3 Billion. Our investors include: Tiger Global, Bessemer, Sequoia Capital, March Capital, Salesforce Ventures.
Forter is looking for a Senior Infrastructure Engineer with broad experience building state-of-the-art services and systems and leading large multi-team efforts to join our Cloud Infra team.
While we don’t process quite as many requests as Google, Twitter, or Facebook, we do care a great deal about reliability and latency. Every request we process is important to everyone involved. We can’t go down because our customers’ businesses depend on us: we processed eCommerce transactions worth over $200B in 2020, and decided on billions of critical decisions.
If this kind of working environment sounds exciting to you, if you understand that Engineering is about building the most effective and elegant solution within a given set of constraints - consider applying for this position. But hold on, you best check the position requirements first :)
The Cloud Infra team is focused on building the foundations for the whole engineering group to rely on while developing Forter’s platform. We provide the other teams with tools and knowledge around cloud managed services, networking, monitoring and alerting, datastores and cost optimization.
At Forter, each team is responsible for their systems, and often even their infrastructure, like datastores, metrics, alerts while having their own on-call rotation. Our goal is to enable the other teams to do their job with maximum efficiency and happiness (dev experience matters!)
What you'll be doing:
- Work with engineers across the company to build new features at large-scale, while improving internal engineering standards, tooling, and processes.
- Scope, design and implement multi-cloud platform solutions that make the appropriate tradeoffs between resiliency, durability, and performance.
- Develop tooling and automate processes to provide a resilient and flexible platform for all of Forter’s engineering teams.
- Help debug and solve critical infrastructure issues across services and multiple levels of the stack.
What you'll need:
- 4+ years of experience in reliability engineering, software engineering, or systems engineering at a large-scale software company
- 2+ years working with Infrastructure As Code tools (Cloudformation / Terraform / Pulumi)
- Strong understanding and practical experience in
- Working with public clouds (AWS / GCP / Azure)
- Service infrastructure environments (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, Chef, Terraform, etc.)
- Multiple database and storage options, including clustering, sharding and failure recovery of SQL, NoSQL, in memory caching, etc.
- Monitoring and alerting systems (e.g. ELK, Prometheus)
- Familiarity with the full life cycle of software development, from design and implementation to testing and deployment
- Experience in systems engineering at scale with regards to testing, reliability, security, and observability
- A mature understanding to strike the balance between ideal and pragmatic solutions on a case-by-case basis
- Curiosity to learn and share knowledge with peers, and the motivation to empower others to be more productive
- Pleasure in anticipating how systems fail, how to observe and design robust systems, and building the right interfaces that encourage best practices
- Enthusiasm for providing technical solutions that bring immediate impact
- Passion for developing tools that other love to use
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Excellent listening and presentation skills
It'd be really cool if you also have:
- Experience with service-mesh solutions (e.g. Istio, Consul Connect)
- Worked with HashiCorp’s tools: Packer, Terraform, Vault, Consul, etc.
- Have experience developing multi-cloud SAAS platforms
- Experience with public cloud cost management and optimization (FinOps)
Projects you could work on:
We have a ton of important work to do, which is why we’re hiring! Our projects are, of course, changing all the time, but here are a few that are either planned or ongoing, to give you an idea of the types of projects on our roadmap:
- Redesign our monitoring and alerting stack to support our growing scale while reducing operational overhead.
- Implement a service-mesh solution to bridge VMs and K8s workloads across multiple regions and clouds.
- Migrate a large system (thousands of servers) to cloud-agnostic technologies (e.g. K8S, Vault, etc.) with no downtime.
- Introduce chaos engineering paradigms and a suite of fault-injection tools to our stack in order to continuously test and improve our systems resiliency.
What it's like to work at Forter:
We believe that head-count is a vanity metric (i.e. more doesn’t necessarily mean better), and that people matter! This is why we prefer smaller teams of talented individuals with strong cohesion over “just give us some more working hands”.
We believe that the metric we should optimize for is increasing the IQ and EQ of our team over time, by building an organization that will draw such people to us. We care immensely about how the team works together, and we don’t shy away from hard conversations. When you try to make an impact, friction (of opinions, or business constraints) is something you need to deal with.
We don’t have QA, we don’t have Architects (“CTO team”), we don’t have a NOC or a SOC team. We look at our team as part of the system that we build, so we optimize the process and tools to fit our team. Most of our teams have a generalist-mindset, but our system is vast and we have people developing expertise in areas they are passionate about.
We are big believers in having Skin in the game as a way of setting the alignment of incentives to build things right, and picking boring technology as we respect the complexity of our system and business.
You should join to help us build a better version of Forter, rather than a smaller version of a large company. If you’re up for the challenge, please submit your CV.
At Forter, we believe unique people create unique ideas, and valuable experience comes in many forms. So, even if your background doesn't match everything we have listed in the job description, we still encourage you to apply and tell us why your skills and values could be an asset to us. By welcoming different perspectives, we grow together as humans and as a company.