The National Campaign Director will be responsible for helping create and develop the strategic vision for deepening, expanding and improving For Our Future’s work, towards winning elections and legislative outcomes every year. He or she will be an adept manager with the ability to bring national and state teams together and help lead a large and diverse staff of hundreds of employees.
For Our Future incorporates both issue advocacy and robust electoral programming – to win elections and regain power by engaging and mobilizing people and community-based organizations on progressive issues. Established in 2016, FOF was an investment to build permanent progressive infrastructure in key communities. With an initial focus on 7 states, FOF developed 180+ community based partnerships with local organizations, providing them with critical targeting, communications and digital support to help them grow and strengthen their capacity. Through our work, we expanded data resources, promoted progressive public policies, and elevated engagement and turnout of targeted voters.
In 2017, For Our Future is continuing the mandate to connect issues and elections with a focus on establishing permanence and economies of scale. FOF will continue to grow through 2020, building power across issue fights and elections, increasing efficiencies, and winning. Headquartered in Washington, DC, our current state programs include: Florida, Michigan, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Wisconsin.
The CD will have a demonstrated commitment to For Our Future’s core values: creating shared economic prosperity, building strong public schools, addressing climate change, and supporting racial justice.
Direction and Decision Making:
The Campaign Director reports directly to the CEO. The CD is charged with managing team leads and skillfully executing state program.
Requirements & Responsibilities:
- Create and develop a strategic plan for growing a national field and communications operation that reaches voters and lifts progressive issues at the national and state level to build power every year and win electoral victories, especially in 2018 and 2020.
- Help develop and implement operational communications and coalition plans that further strategic objectives across all facets of the organization.
- Manage the day to day activity of multiple national departments focused on grassroots execution.
- Ensure the integration of the above departments with the Communications, Political, Operations, Development Departments and General Counsel’s office.
- Represent For Our Future in meetings, conversations and communications with new and existing stakeholders.
- Play a leading role in collaborating with a diverse set of issue organizations to create a common vision and purpose that leads to issue and electoral victory.
- Ensure rigorous program evaluation and quality control -- formulate and implement corrective action as needed.
- Provide leadership and management to senior program staff and For Our Future’s state leadership through effective goal setting, delegation, and communication.
To be considered for this position, the applicant must be prepared to share and validate a record of personal achievements in the following competency areas:
- Leadership: A passionate labor and environmental advocate with a proven record of senior organizational leadership, who understands the fights—both offensive and defensive—that we must engage in to win back power for progressives by 2020. Must be a visionary leader who has confidently engaged others to be proactive in joining our organizations’ mission and goals. Evidence of organizational effectiveness in confronting and adapting to challenging and changing political/organizational realities. Capable and willing to voice respectful and effective dissent when and where appropriate.
- Management: Has a demonstrated, successful record of attracting and motivating highly talented staff and has success in building and maintaining effective coalition partnerships.
- Strategic Planning and Execution: Documented experience in leading organization-wide efforts in planning, implementation, process improvements, innovation, financial management and building high performance work teams. An individual who possesses the ability to juggle multiple projects with clear priorities and to easily articulate the connections between the big picture and specific action plans and timetables.
- Relevant Knowledge: Possesses demonstrable knowledge of effective and successful field plans, including targeting, voter contact, GOTV and best practices with each.
- Interpersonal Effectiveness: An effective communicator who has excelled in building successful relationships and a commitment to collaboration. Has an established record of fostering teamwork and consensus, effectively managing conflict, and provoking creative problem-solving and risk taking, and is inclusive of diverse individual and cultural perspectives.
- Communications: Has strong written and verbal communication skills, and is a persuasive communicator with strong multidisciplinary project skills.
- Level-headedness: Maintaining enthusiasm and calm demeanor in stressful situations.
- A minimum of 10 years of campaign experience, and 6 years of senior management experience in positions of increasing responsibility.
- A belief in the central roles of unions and progressive organizations coupled with an unwavering support for public education, organized labor and environmental protection is required. Background in labor and environmental advocacy and collective bargaining experience desired.
- Experience running statewide large scale field operations is required.
For Our Future is a project of For Our Future Action Fund (“FOFAF”), a non-profit “social welfare” organization, & For Our Future (“FOF”), a federally registered “independent expenditure” political action committee that incorporates both issue advocacy and electoral programming, respectively.
For Our Future to offer a competitive salary and benefits package consistent with experience, skills and demonstrated abilities.
Submit a cover letter and resume online at: https://boards.greenhouse.io/forourfuture/jobs/920521
The cover letter should be concise and compelling, and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
For Our Future is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.