For Our Future and For Our Future Action Fund are seeking a National Training Director to create & direct a robust state-driven training program. This is a *new* dedicated component of the program designed to develop and organize local leaders and organizations -- ultimately for greater capacity and engagement on issues and elections. This program will include leadership development, organizational management, and a curriculum to share best practices for high-quality, data-driven field and communications programs. Through this program, FOF hopes to provide trainings for: 1) Community-Based Organizations; 2) Local Activists & Leaders; 3) Communicators & Influencers; and 4) FOF Staff.
The Training Director is responsible for designing, building and managing a training program, to be executed by state and national staff. The Training Director will work with leadership to craft state-specific training plans and programming to achieve organizational goals. In addition to developing the program, the Training Director will ultimately be responsible for developing systems to assess and report out on the success of each training program at every level and in every region.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Design and execute a multi-pronged leadership development program focused on emerging grassroots activists, FOF programs, and partner programs in creating tiered modes of engagement for local leaders.
- Build and maintain clearinghouse of training materials for staff and partners, covering subjects ranging from: building and maintaining political relationships and coalitions, to delivering an effective persuasion message at the doors.
- Manage Training Academy, which seeks to retrain current communicators on how to more effectively put messaging directly in the hands of the people, bypassing old, outdated delivery systems.
- Facilitate learning across states, regions and partner programs.
- Design and direct strategies to measure the success of training programs and advise national staff on strategies to measure success of all state programs.
- Support FOF and partner leadership staff in designing programs to source organizing talent.
- When needed and requested by states, directly organize and facilitate trainings.
- Applying training best practices to ensure trainings are professionally and experientially designed.
Qualifications & Experience
- Enthusiasm for Building Progressive Power - Understanding of the general progressive landscape at the local, state, and national level preferred. Understanding of how the community coordinates and co-exists legally, values-wise, and based on electoral goals preferred. Demonstrated ability to turn activists into leaders through training in a local or statewide setting preferred.
- Training Skills - Understanding and experience applying training best practices, developing trainings to varying audiences, writing needs assessments and evaluating programs (particularly training programs) in traditional and non-traditional training settings required. Experience managing all of the logistics involved in a training program; from budget, to recruitment of trainees, to managing staff/trainers involved in execution required. Experience training others to be trainers is preferred. Examples of past training materials & curriculum may be requested.
- Organizer at Heart - Inclination to lead via organizing rather than by decree. Ability to build strong teams to accomplish goals without a need to bottom-line everything. Talented in coalition and team building.
- Program Management - Experience executing statewide issue advocacy campaigns, and working within or managing issue coalitions. Demonstrated knowledge of effective and successful electoral plans, including targeting, voter contact, GOTV and best practices with each. Solutions-oriented approach, with a willingness to take initiative, while juggling several priorities that may change quickly. Multi-tasker with excellent time management skills and ability to hit deadlines.
- Communication Skills - Ability to write compelling training materials, program reports, fundraising/marketing documents, and program debrief reports, with examples. Experience in working with multiple state operations at one time a plus. Demonstrated ability in building relationships and maintaining communication with key stakeholders a plus. Demonstrated ability to navigate conflict and work toward resolution required.
**The Training Director must be willing to travel extensively and work long hours.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. FOF offers a competitive salary and benefits package consistent with experience and expertise.
How to Apply: Applicants should submit their cover letter, resume, and three references to: boards.greenhouse.io/forourfuture/jobs/686380 . Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; the deadline to apply is May 26th, 2017.
For Our Future Action Fund is a non-profit “social welfare” organization, & For Our Future PAC is an allied federally registered “independent expenditure” political action committee that incorporates both issue advocacy and electoral programming, respectively. For Our Future Action Fund and For Our Future PAC, collectively “FOF,” is a coalition organization that aims to win elections and regain political power by engaging and mobilizing people on progressive issues and values. Founded in 2016, FOF has four core progressive values: a passion for social and racial justice, economic prosperity for all, protecting the environment, and a commitment to public education.
In 2017, FOF will continue to engage on community issues with a focus on establishing permanence and economies of scale to be leveraged. Building off our 2016 campaign, FOF will continue its unique and now-proven model to build infrastructure and power for progressive issues and candidates in 2018 and 2020. The model is to work with and through community-based organizations and local activist networks, with a focus on bolstering both field and communications infrastructure. Our goal is to turn communicators into connectors, engage communities in policy fights, and turn out voters for progressive issues and champions for Election Day victories.