For Our Future and For Our Future Action Fund, collectively “FOF,” are seeking a National Development Director to oversee and direct the organization’s fundraising and development program. The Development Director is responsible for planning, coordinating, and implementing the individual and/or organizational donor program to meet the annual fundraising goal and build FOF’s donor base. The Development Director is responsible for direct solicitation of contributions, as well as for the coordination of senior leadership, board and executive committee members, and principals in cultivation and solicitation, as well as donor stewardship.
The Development Director will:
- Manage the development program to meet the organization’s financial goals. This includes: developing and implementing a plan; tracking and reporting on progress; managing effective systems for tracking and cultivating donors and prospects; researching prospective donors and grant opportunities; building relationships with charitable trusts, foundations and other institutional funders; providing support to the Executive Director, board and executive committee members, and principals.
- Solicit gifts on behalf of FOF and FOF programs. This includes: managing the prospect portfolio; initiating contact and meeting with existing and potential donors; leveraging experience to move prospects toward solicitation and closure; overseeing grant seeking, including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
- Manage relationships with donors and prospects. This includes: developing and implementing stewardship protocols; identifying opportunities to network with donors and prospects and engaging members of the staff and board as appropriate to make the most of those opportunities; maintaining consistent quality communications with donors; and seeking opportunities for donor recognition, stewardship, and appreciation.
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing materials for prospective donors, grant applications, meetings, and events
- Organizing, and staffing, events and meetings to support the fundraising efforts
- Executing fundraising events
- Representing the organization positively and serving as a liaison to senior leadership, as well as the Executive Committee(s) and Executive Board(s)
- Maintaining detailed records of donor status, giving, and interactions
- Preparing reports and giving presentations on fundraising progress
This position reports to the Executive Director, and may work in partnership with a fundraising consultant or advisor.
Qualifications & Experience
- 4-6 years of successful experience in major gift fundraising, grant solicitation, &/or donor advising
- Ability to manage the needs and interests of both program and donors
- Familiarity with labor unions and the progressive donor table infrastructure
- Excellent verbal and written communications, interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills
- Excellent attention to detail and follow-through
- Demonstrated leadership, and record of completing assignments and meeting deadlines
- Good judgment in high-pressure situations
- Experience working with, and managing a fundraising consultant
- WIlling to travel
To succeed in this position, and on this team, a candidate must be a champion of the FOF mission and our core issues, and have a dedication to advancing FOF’s fundraising priorities. He/She needs: to be highly self-motivated and directed; to excel in a fast-paced and demanding environment; to have successful experience in making cold calls, as well as developing cultivation and solicitation strategies; to demonstrate an empathetic disposition and perseverance, and convey sensitivity to the needs of donors; to be optimistic and have a sense of humor. Existing positive donor relationships is a plus, as is experience with political fundraising.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. FOF offers a competitive salary and benefits package consistent with experience and expertise.
For Our Future offers the following benefits to all full-time employees:
- Health Insurance Coverage - 95% Employer Paid and 5% Employee
- Retirement Savings Plan with matching contributions up to the first 5%
- $100 Monthly Cell Phone Bill Reimbursement
- 10 Days Paid Time Off granted at the start of every new calendar year, as well as all paid federal holidays
Applicants should submit their cover letter, resume, and three employer references to: boards.greenhouse.io/forourfuture/jobs/669519. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; the deadline to apply is May 10th, 2017.
FOF, a coalition organization, aims to win elections and regain political power by engaging and mobilizing people on progressive issues and values. Founded in 2016, FOF has four core progressive values: a passion for social and racial justice, economic prosperity for all, protecting the environment, and a commitment to public education. In 2017, FOF will continue to engage on community issues with a focus on establishing permanence and economies of scale to be leveraged. Building off our 2016 campaign, FOF will continue its unique and now-proven model to build infrastructure and power for progressive issues and candidates in 2018 and 2020. The model is to work with and through community-based organizations and local activist networks, with a focus on bolstering both field and communications infrastructure. Our goal is to turn communicators into connectors, engage communities in policy fights, and turn out voters for progressive issues and champions for Election Day victories.