Pennsylvania State Director
For Our Future and For Our Future Action Fund are seeking a Pennsylvania State Director to direct a robust on- and off-year advocacy and independent electoral state progressive coalition organization.
FOF aims to win elections and regain political power by engaging and mobilizing people and community-based organizations on progressive issues. In 2017, FOFAF will continue to engage on community issues with a focus on establishing permanence and economies of scale to be leveraged. Building off of our 2016 campaign in Pennsylvania, FOF will continue its unique and now-proven model to build infrastructure and power for progressive issues and candidates in 2018 and 2020. The model is to work with and through community-based organizations and local activist networks, with a focus on field and earned media. Our goal is to turn communicators into connectors, engage communities in policy fights, and turn out voters for progressive issues and champions for Election Day victories.
For Pennsylvania’s Future is a project of For Our Future Action Fund (“FOFAF”), a non-profit “social welfare” organization, & For Our Future (“FOF”), a federally registered “independent expenditure” political action committee that incorporates both issue advocacy and electoral programming, respectively.
The Pennsylvania State Director is responsible for building and managing an organization, and developing and executing a strategic statewide issue advocacy and electoral program. He/She drives state-specific issue and electoral organizing plan around FOFAF and FOF’s core issue-areas: climate, economic fairness, education, and racial justice. He/She facilitates the development and management of the statewide organizational staff and program run through partner organizations. He/She ensures that state and national investments are aligned and coordinated. He/She represents the state organization in state coalitions, via communication with the national FOFAF and FOF team, the board, and other key allies. He/She manages state consultants, facilitates a training program, facilitates coordination and information sharing between partners and allies, leads in the assessment of progress and achievement of program deliverables, and advances FOFAF and FOF’s interests and priorities. The Pennsylvania State Director reports directly to the National Executive Director, coordinates closely with the national staff, as well as key stakeholders.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Leading a results driven statewide team of communication, field and organizing professionals.
- Directing an innovative grantmaking program to community partners in the state that reflect the strategy to win on core issues and electoral priorities.
- Developing and managing the state budget.
- Performs outreach to in-state donors to coordinate, align, and possibly bring new funding to the organization for maximum impact.
- Regularly reports state qualitative and quantitative accomplishments .
- Maintains relationships with partner organizations, policymakers, opinion leaders, funding partners, and other community leaders.
- Works with national HR team to manage and oversee all FOF and FOFAF hiring within the state.
- Oversees all in-state FOF and FOFAF programs,evaluates the impact of programs, and ensures innovation as necessary to ensure success.
- Handles all complaints or problems and report any that may raise legal, liability, or compliance issues to General Counsel.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as designated by the Executive Director
Qualifications & Experience
- Enthusiasm for Building Progressive Power - A firm understanding of Pennsylvania’s legislative process and political landscape, and the path to power in the state. Ability to work and adapt to a changing political and policy landscape.
- Strategic Planning - Ability to develop short and long-term statewide plans, set objectives and metrics, track progress toward achieving objectives, and align those strategies with other progressive efforts in state. Ability to get buy-in and build consensus among a diverse group of stakeholders for that plan is required.
- Commitment to the Mission - Dedication to grassroots, local organizing and empowering state/local organizations to lead our work. Understanding of local community-based organizations and respect for their leaders and programs.
- Organizer at Heart - Inclination to lead via organizing rather than by decree. Ability to build strong teams to accomplish goals without a need to bottom-line everything. Talented in coalition and team building.
- Financial Management - Understanding of financial management and financial controls. Experience crafting and managing budgets and familiarity with financial reporting and compliance. Understanding of the legal requirements and restrictions of 501(c)(4) and 527 (PAC) organizations a plus.
- Program Management - Experience executing statewide issue advocacy campaigns, and working within or managing issue coalitions. Demonstrated knowledge of effective and successful electoral plans, including targeting, voter contact, GOTV and best practices with each. Solutions-oriented approach, with a willingness to take initiative, while juggling several priorities that may change quickly. Multi-tasker with excellent time management skills and ability to hit deadlines.
- Communication Skills - Strong oral and written communication skills. Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to write compelling program reports, fundraising/marketing documents, and program debrief reports. Demonstrated ability in building relationships and maintaining communication with key statewide stakeholders required. Demonstrated ability to navigate conflict and work toward resolution required.
The State Director must reside in Pennsylvania, ideally in Philadelphia. Must be willing to travel and work long hours.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. FOFAF offers a competitive salary and benefits package consistent with experience, skills and demonstrated abilities.
For Our Future offers the following benefits to all full-time employees:
- Health Insurance Coverage - 95% Employer Paid and 5% Employee
- Retirement Savings Plan with matching contributions up to the first 5%
- $100 Monthly Cell Phone Bill Reimbursement
- 10 Days Paid Time Off granted at the start of every new calendar year, as well as all paid federal holidays
How to Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three references to boards.greenhouse.io/forourfuture/jobs/644631.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We are looking to hire immediately.