Florida Regional Press Secretary
For Our Future Action Fund (“FOFAF”) & For Our Future (“FOF”) is seeking a Regional Press Secretary to develop and implement aggressive communications strategy with state and local media. This position offers strategic guidance as well as planning and implementing long and short-term traditional and digital communications campaigns in state.
FOF aims to win elections and regain political power by engaging and mobilizing people and community-based organizations on progressive issues. In 2017, FOFAF continued to engage on community issues with a focus on establishing permanence and economies of scale to be leveraged. Building off our 2016 campaign in five battleground states, FOF continued its unique and now-proven model to build infrastructure and power for progressive issues and candidates in 2018 and 2020, expanding to new states along the way. The model is to work with and through community-based organizations and local activist networks, with a focus on face-to-face conversations. Our goal is to engage communities in policy fights and turn out voters for progressive issues and champions for Election Day victories.
For Our Future Action Fund (“FOFAF”), a non-profit “social welfare” organization, & For Our Future (“FOF”), a federally registered “independent expenditure” political action committee that incorporates both issue advocacy and electoral programming, respectively. This is a temporary position with an end date of November 15, 2018.
*Candidates with experience in progressive politics will be given stronger consideration. *
The Regional Press Secretary will be supervised by the communications director and will be expected to work from the FOF headquarters in their respective market. All releases and press notifications must be approved by the communications director before released to the press or public along with any additional stakeholders as the situation may require, and all contact with members of the working press to the communications director on a daily basis.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Oversee the day to day financial, compliance, and staffing operations.
- Proactively identify earned media opportunities to promote activities and policy positions from FOF and partners in targeted media markets.
- Plan and execute earned media activities in markets of responsibility. This includes scouting and securing locations, securing and preparing participants, notifying press of events and any other logistics association with the earned media activities.
- Contact press outlets in markets of responsibility to inform, invite and pitch earned media activities and releases.
- Schedule interviews for surrogates who visit the markets of responsibility.
- Maintain press contact list for markets of responsibility.
- Monitor local press for stories of interest to FOF and for coverage of earned media events.
- Develop and secure signatories for Letters to the Editor, blog postings and op-ed pieces.
- Build and maintain network of local spokespersons for participation in earned media events and to act as spokespersons for specific story needs.
- Prepare weekly reports for the communications director.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Extensive experience in communications, preferably for a government or non-profit organization.
- Background in media relations, pre-existing relationships with Tampa or Orlando media a plus.
- Successful track record of pitching and placing proactive stories.
- Excellent verbal, writing and editing skills; excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated record as both a self-starter and team-player.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with associates and the public.
- Excellent attention to detail, ability to multitask successfully and meet deadlines under pressure.
- Proficiency with social media and an understanding of the role digital tools play in strategic communications.
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Bachelor’s Degree in English, Journalism, or Public Relations (Preferred)
- Incumbent will perform work in an open-office environment as well as work and manage projects from FOF – Florida Headquarters and FOF – Washington, D.C. National Headquarters.
Expected Hours of Work:
- Normal business hours are Monday thru Friday from 9am-6pm, however you may be required to work outside of normal business hours, including weekends and/or holidays. This job will require longer hours closer to Election Day.
For Our Future Offers the Following Benefits to All Full-Time Employees:
- Health Insurance Coverage - 95% Employer Paid & 5% Employee.
- Retirement Savings plan with matching contributions up to the first 5%.
- $100 Monthly Cell Phone Allowance.
- 6.66 hours per month of Vacation accrued granted for a maximum of 10 days every new calendar year.
- 5.33 hours per month of Paid Sick Time accrued for a maximum of 8 days every new calendar year.
- All paid federal holidays and 2 floating holidays.
Applicants should submit their cover letter, resume, and three references to: https://boards.greenhouse.io/forourfuture/jobs/1308613
For Our Future Action Fund is an equal opportunity employer. This application will not be used for limiting or excluding any applicant from consideration for employment on a basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law, including race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, creed, national origin, disability, ancestry, military service, or veteran status. Should an applicant need reasonable accommodation in the application process, he or she should contact a company representative.
The relationship between you and the For Our Future Action Fund is referred to as “employment at will.” This means that your employment can be terminated at any time for any reason, with or without cause, with or without notice, by you or the For Our Future Action Fund/For Our Future. No representative of For Our Future Action Fund has authority to enter into any employment agreement with you that is contrary to the foregoing “employment at will” relationship. By signing below, you hereby affirm your that your employment is “at will”, and that you acknowledge that no oral or written statements or representations regarding your employment can alter your “at will” status, except for a written statement signed by you and our Chief Executive Officer or duly authorized representative as determined by a resolution of the Board of Directors of For Our Future Action Fund.